che ne sia prova il vedere

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by phillyitalianstudent, Jun 3, 2011.

1. phillyitalianstudent Senior Member

Philadelphia
    English, U.S.A.
    How do you translate che in this instance and the others?

CONTEXT:
    Il francese imparò in casa, e che cominciasse sino da bambino a parlarlo, io credo che ne sia prova il vedere, che egli egli conversava o cantava francese, in alcuni moment di molta commozione d'animo.

ATTEMPTED TRANSLATION:
    He learned French at home, and that he began to speak it as a baby, I believe that there is evidence, [and] that he conversed or sang in French in moments when his spirit was in commotion.

I was be grateful for any advice or suggestions!

2. phillyitalianstudent Senior Member

Philadelphia
    English, U.S.A.
    I see that different parts of the sentence use different verb tenses.

Il francese imparò in casa, e che cominciasse sino da bambino a parlarlo, io credo che ne sia prova il vedere, che egli egli conversava o cantava francese, in alcuni moment di molta commozione d'animo.

Historical past: "Il francese imparò in casa"

Conjunctive: "e che cominciasse sino da bambino a parlarlo, io credo che ne sia prova il vedere

Conditional: "che egli egli conversava o cantava francese, in alcuni moment di molta commozione d'animo".

How does this effect the translation? Let me try again.... Is there a che... che.... grammatical construction that means the same as che sia.... che sia....?

ATTEMPTED TRANSLATION
    He learned French at home. He began to speak it as a small child, I believe, and he reverted to French in conversation or song in moments of great agitation.

Please let me know if this is correct! Thank you!

3. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    "... and I believe the evidence that he might have learnt it as a child is to be seen in the fact that he conversed or sang ..."

I interpret it to mean that "ne sia prova" refers to "cominciasse sino da bambino a parlarlo". Does that make any sense to native Italian speakers?

4. giovannino

giovannino Senior Member

Naples, Italy
    Italian, Neapolitan
    You're right, baldpate:thumbsup: Ne = del fatto che cominciasse...

5. phillyitalianstudent Senior Member

Philadelphia
    English, U.S.A.