Che ragionamenti fai?

fdelnero

Italian
Hi.
How to translate:

"Ma che ragionamenti fai?"
or
"Da quando ha cambiato gruppo di amici fa dei ragionamenti che non riesco proprio a comprendere"

This is similar to: "Che discorsi fai?"

Thanks

• fdelnero

Italian
    Sorry if I was not clear. I also added another phrase in the body of my post to avoid misunderstanding:

"Da quando ha cambiato gruppo di amici fa dei ragionamenti che non riesco proprio a comprendere"

Other uses of "fare dei ragionamenti" can be for example:
    "Ti ricordi quel ragionamento che avevamo fatto l'altro giorno? ...."
    "Do you remember what we talked about last day?"

In general, it can always be translated as "talk about", but it highlights more the logic of what somebody is talking about:

for example:
    "Non mi piace quel politico. Fa dei ragionamenti assurdi"
    "I don't like that politician. He says wierd things"

In this case what I don't like/don't understand is the logic of what the politician says.

Hope I was clearer

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    it highlights more the logic of what somebody is talking about
    Hi fdelnero, I agree completely. That's why I don't think that:

In general, it can always be translated as "talk about"
    For instance, in your excellent example:

"Non mi piace quel politico. Fa dei ragionamenti assurdi"
    translating "fa dei ragionamenti assurdi" as "he says weird things" doesn't sound right to me. "Weird things" is very general and could refer to anything. I think it is clearly implied that there is a faulty/flawed logic in his arguments.

Even in "Ma che ragionamenti fai?" I definitely see a reference to a line of thought I find unacceptable from a logical point of view, rather than to talking rubbish in general.
    EDIT: I see that Devoto Oli does see "ragionamento" in its archaic sense of "discorso, conversazione" in this phrase:
    "2. arcaico Discorso, conversazione...nell'uso moderno, quasi esclusivamente nell'esclamazione: che ragionamenti!"
    However, because the modern, current sense is "ogni discorso che abbia o presuma di avere un fondamento razionale e una consequenza logica", I still think a reference to logic (or lack thereof) is there.

fdelnero

Italian
    Thank you Giovannino.

I think that you perfectly got the point, and managed to explain it in a much clearer way than I did.

However there still an open question:
    what is the best way to translate it in English??

(Come on natives!!!!!!!!)

lingogal

U.S. English
    What are you thinking?! said with the proper tone of surprise might convey the right idea.

Since he has changed (his group of) friends, I just can't understand what he's thinking!

Maybe something like the above would get the right feeling?

< Previous | Next >