che schifo!

Luthien12

Italian, Italy
Hi!! Could somebody tell me the right way to express disgust for example at the sight of something which is not exactly pleasant;) ...in italian we usually say "che schifo", especially when something is very bad, awful or disgusting...!
thank you!!:)

• ElaineG

USA/English
    "It sucks"? Is it used?
    alb
    It sucks more means something is terrible in the sense of being of poor quality, lame, useless.

For che schifo, I'd more likely say "how gross", "how disgusting" as Mimi said.

Ex: "My computer is so slow today. My internet connection sucks!"
    "I hate this restaurant. All the food is overcooked and bland. It sucks!"

"My cat killed a bird and left it by the foot of my bed. So gross!"
    "I found a two-month old piece of pizza under the couch in the TV room. Disgusting!"

Ciao. Direi che "fa schifo" in italiano può riferirsi a due cose diverse:

(1) Qualcosa di disgustoso.

(2) Qualcosa di pessima qualità.

A grandi linee, l'espressione inglese "gross!" si riferisce al caso (1), mentre "it sucks" è adatto al caso (2).

Spero che questo abbia chiarito le equivalenze tra le locuzioni.

"It sucks"? Is it used?
    alb

kan3malato

Italia/Italiano
    It sucks more means something is terrible in the sense of being of poor quality, lame, useless.

For che schifo, I'd more likely say "how gross", "how disgusting" as Mimi said.

Ex: "My computer is so slow today. My internet connection sucks!"
    "I hate this restaurant. All the food is overcooked and bland. It sucks!"

"My cat killed a bird and left it by the foot of my bed. So gross!"
    "I found a two-month old piece of pizza under the couch in the TV room. Disgusting!"
    HI all
    Maybe...
    "Il mio computer è così lento oggi. La mia connessione è
    pessima=sucks?"
    "Odio questo ristorante. Il cibo è stracotto(?) e insipido. Pessimo(ristorante).
    "Il mio gatto ha ucciso un uccello e lo ha lasciato ai piedi del mio letto. Che schifo!!"

Do you guys think these sentence work in this way?I mean, Do you think sucks=pessimo it's a correct translation?

A grandi linee, l'espressione inglese "gross!" si riferisce al caso (1), mentre "it sucks" è adatto al caso (2).
    :confused: Sorry, but it's not clear at all, Please, could you try to explain to me it better?
    Thanks

ps
    Sorry but forum sucks this evening really...

Thanks

corleone

italy
    Hi!! Could somebody tell me the right way to express disgust for example at the sight of something which is not exactly pleasant;) ...in italian we usually say "che schifo", especially when something is very bad, awful or disgusting...!
    thank you!!:)
    well u also can add "that stinks"..but it's something kinda vulgar and extremely rude..so that's your cup of tea!! bye!!

Henry63a

Italiano - Italia
    To my nonnative ears, sucks sounds ruder than stinks maybe for the sexual meaning it has in another context.
    Is the other way round in English in this context, or both terms are equivalent as far as concerns their rudeness?

ElaineG

USA/English
    Well you also can add "that stinks but it's something kinda vulgar and extremely rude if that's your cup of tea!! bye!!

(Moderator note: Corleone, welcome to WRF, please do not use "chat" abbreviations like "u" and try to use correct capitalization and punctuation. Proviamo a scrivere le lingue "standard" qui.).

Henry, you are exactly right. It sucks is considered a bit ruder than it stinks, etc. because of possibility of a sexual connotation. It sucks has largely lost this sense, however, through common use and it is not uncommon to here it used widely. Care should be taken with older people, however, who may still have this association!

Mastermou

English
    If you want the true etymology of "it sucks" - it started way back when I was in college in the 70's and the saying was "it sucks the hairy big one", so now you know why it is so rude.

< Previous | Next >