che si ritengono essere i meccanismi

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by candel, Apr 5, 2012.

1. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Hi I was reading in le scienze about ants and how they develop responses to infection. I quote: È interessante notare che il nostro studio sull'esposizione fungina contrasta con quelli che si ritengono essere i meccanismi di immunizzazione sociale delle formiche dopo un'esposizione batterica, in cui il trasferimento all’esemplare esposto a sostanze antimicrobiche tramite l'alimentazione sociale sembra suscitare una protezione della popolazione

My translation: It is interesting to note that our study on fungal exposure contrasts with those that look at the mechanisms of social immunization in ants after bacterial exposure, in which the transference to the specimen exposed to antimicrobial substances via social feeding seems to arouse a protection of the population.
    My concern is the section "che si ritengono essere i meccanismi"...I had to ignore essere here or I couldn't make sense of it. Any advice would be most appreciated...

2. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Ciao, Candel :)

I think you could say "that are considered to be the mechanisms ..." :)

3. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Ah yes sense...thanks very much for your help...:)
    However, why the use of the present tense? If "con quelli che si ritenuti essere " I would have guessed it...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    You're more than welcome, Candel :)
    Happy Easter!

EDIT
    Sorry, Candel: I did not reply to your second question! :)
    Actually the whole sentence uses the present tense, thus "the mechamisms that, today, are considered as to be ..." is correct. Otherwise, you could say "con quelli che sono ritenuti" :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012