cheap ['countryISH'? 'reasonable' preferred?]

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Hi there,

One of my lads were told that cheap meaning low in cost is fairly country -ish, and people tend to use reasonable instead. I'm after this, I want to find out if the above statement is true in your neck of the woods.

Thanks very much!

Ego

edit: I forgot to meantion that this friend of mine has been somewhere in Britain and I'm pretty sure he talked to a native.

• suzi br

English / England
    What does country-ish mean?
    Some people say cheap, some people say reasonable, some of us might use both, depending on the context.

Cheap tends to denote lower quality, but if the context shows that the item is good but the price is low then cheap is a good word for the job.

Reasonable can be used about an expensive thing where you think the cost is worth paying because of the quality you are getting makes it worth the money ..

You can see from these two contexts that they are not always synonymous.

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    Absolutely, some people say this or that depending on the context. I was taken aback by what he was told, to be honest, I'd never heard anything like that before, well, with countryish I meant to say that it belongs to some vernacular and it might be non-standard. Thanks for your clarification!

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    In American English, there is nothing non-standard or inappropriate in any way about the word "cheap". It also is not rural, old-fashioned, or odd -- which, however, is not the case with "lads" in American English!

sound shift

English - England
    I make no attempt to exclude the word "cheap" from my usage. Some individuals might wish to use a euphemism for status reasons. Many advertisers, presumably with status in mind, avoid "cheap" and use words such as "budget" instead.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Now I understand your concept of country-ish I can say for sure there is nothing vernacular about cheap. The only limit on its use would be the fact that it can denote poor or shoddy quality, which might not be relevant to the product/service in question.

< Previous | Next >