Cheap/of low value (content, not price)

< Previous | Next >

HotIcyDonut

Russian - Russia
By "cheap", I don't mean price but rather the trait of being of a lesser quality, something directed at unfussy readers, which is what "cheap" references to. Think of, for example, dime novels, pulp magazines, and stuff alike.

How about الكتب الصفراء?

And what terms will work?

شكراً مقدماً

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    الصفراء usually refers to sensational (sex, scandals...). I don't remember hearing or reading about كتب صفراء, but الصحف الصفراء is a common term for cheap journalism.

For the books, I think we can say تافهة, but I believe there are other terms, I just can't remember any right now. :(

Finland

finnois
    Hello!

One possible translation, although a bit boring, could be simply الكتب المنخفضة الجودة. Or maybe كتب مبتذلة ? Of course, at the end of the day the choice depends, as always, on the context.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    منحفض الجودة is two words to say رديء :) But they're not wrong, of course.
    مبتذل can be understood as of lower morals or indecent.

So yes, the context can help.

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
    الصفراء usually refers to sensational (sex, scandals...). I don't remember hearing or reading about كتب صفراء, but الصحف الصفراء is a common term for cheap journalism.
    This phrase is probably a calque of the English expression 'yellow journalism'. :)

Also, could any of the words/phrases mentioned above be suitable in rendering 'cheap' in the context of a poor-quality watch or other accessory? In its entry for 'knockoff/knock-off' when used as a noun*, WordReference provides the following English example, though it hasn't been translated into Arabic yet.

'It's not a real designer purse; it's only a cheap knockoff.'

*(نسخة مقلدة/نسخة مزيفة/تقليد)

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    In this sentence, I’d use رديئة to refer to the poor quality, and رخيصة to refer to the price. But usually we don’t need neither of these adjectives when talking about knockoffs, because it’s known and understood that they are both cheap and of poor quality.

< Previous | Next >