Cheat me once - shame on you!

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Brian P, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Brian P

Brian P Senior Member

Vorrei sapere come si dice in italiano il proverbio: Cheat me once - shame on you! Cheat me twice - shame on me! Voul dire che, se qualcuno m'inganna più di una volta, è la mia colpa. Ecco il mio tentativo corraggioso:

Mi hai ingannato una volta - vergognati! Mi hai ingannato due volte - è la mia vergogna!

2. Max.89

Max.89 Senior Member

Italy
    Italy
    That proverb doesn't exist in Italian,but how you have translated it is ok.

3. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    Italiano

4. Brian P

Brian P Senior Member

Tante grazie, Max e Irene!

Brian

5. GoodVibes New Member

Italy
    Hi :)
    your translation is right even though i think it should be better if you say:

Se mi inganni una volta ti devi vergognare ma se mi inganni due volte mi devo vergognare io!

It's not a literal translation but i believe it describes better what it means.
    Ciao!

6. pizzi

pizzi Senior Member

Aosta
    Italian, Italy
    c'è, in realtà, un modo di dire toscano, qualcosa del tipo: "Una volta, buono; due volte, bischero"; ma è meglio attendere la versione giusta

7. DAH

DAH Senior Member

Los Angeles
    USA/California--English
    I've always heard it like this: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

8. Pirlo

Pirlo Senior Member

Australia
    English
    It's the other way around; Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. It is basically saying, if I'm fooled once, shame on the person whom fooled me; if I'm fooled twice, shame on me for being fooled again!

9. raffaella Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    I think the closest Italian saying is "sbagliare è umano, perseverare è diabolico".

Raffaella

10. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Closest in meaning or as a worded translation?

11. raffaella Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    Definitely in meaning.
    The literal translation would be "to err is human, to persevere in your error is diabolic", meaning everybody can make a mistake once, but if you keep doing the same mistake over and over, then there's something wrong with you.
    I hope I am making myself clear, it's getting late...

Raffaella

12. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Yes, that was clear, I just want to ask whether "to err" was a typo or a genuine mistake?

13. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    :confused:

14. raffaella Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    Did I invent a word? It sure sounded like a real English word, but I might be too sleepy to function properly!:eek:

15. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    No, your sentence was exactly right.

16. raffaella Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    Then maybe I am not the only one sleepwalking here!:D

17. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Well if you said it to me I wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about, I looked it up and it is a word and the context makes sense, but I would have to say, if I have lived nearly 20 years and never heard that word, I wouldn't recommend you use it (despite what I know people are going to say after me).

18. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    You never heard the expression "to err is human"? It's a perfectly good, common and not obsolete English word, Alex. I have to disagree with your advice.

19. DAH

DAH Senior Member

Los Angeles
    USA/California--English
    Opps, yes, I've corrected my post.

20. raffaella Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    Well, I don't usually say to people "You are erring" but "you are making a mistake", but I think it's fitting for proverbs. It probably is one of those latin words that succumbed in everyday use to their anglo-saxon counterpart.

21. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Well I can happily say you could say that to a random selection of 100 people in my city and probably somewhere like London too, and I'd be VERY surprised if one person had heard of that word.

I would have to certainly disagree with it being "common" though, definitely absolutely not where I live.

22. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Alex, please take a poll and report back. I think you will be shocked. ;)

Jana

23. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Not here, this would be incredibly biased, a site where language learners and generally smart people who have a good sense of English, by no way shape or form gives us a random sample needed to back up my point. :p

24. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    "To err is human (as Elaine started), to forgive divine" is commonly recognized by your average American Joe, not just language lovers. But using err in any other context might be considered unusual.

25. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    That, I can agree with, in a specific phrase, like quite a lot of phrases, are written in "odd" English but widely recognised, I definitely see that point, I was refering to the verb "to err" which, as I'm glad you agree, can easily be seen as unusual.

And now reading back on Elaine's comment, I realise she was refering to the phrase not the verb, and I have to apologise!

I hate being tired and being on here, 01:50am, go to bed Alex.

26. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    No biggie. Sweet dreams.