Check for understanding

Na'ilah

USA English
Does anyone know what the term is in Spanish?

Check for understanding (EDUC)

Comprobar comprensión

or maybe according the following DRAE definition I could use

Probar la comprensión or Probar para comprensión

3. tr. Justificar, manifestar y hacer patente la certeza de un hecho o la verdad de algo con razones, instrumentos o testigos.

Any thoughs?
Thanks.

• Na'ilah

USA English
    this is somehting that preschool teachers do ALL THE TIME, by asking questions to see if the children have grasped the concepts being taught. This is not a formal evaluation. If the child gets it you move on, if the child didn't get it you go back and try to explain again. These are instructions for teachers on how to teach children to divide words into syllables.

Explain that words have parts. Give an example, “Listen, the name Mary has two parts.” Clap the syllables (word parts). Practice counting the syllables. Use the terminology of the first part, middle part, last part, etc. Practice with children. Check for understanding.

See?

ETcallHome

Spanish - Mexico
    I got it. Some ideas:

compruebe que (los alumnos) hayan entendido.
    asegúrese que (los alumnos) entendieron la idea.

You can also use verifique

Txiri

USA English
    I think the verb you need is comprobar: i.e., 'verify' that the students have understood.

I had to look in the DRAE, your quote is the 3rd entry under "probar." Think of what philosophers do: the proof of the theorem can be seen through the following steps: that is the gist of this entry. I believe it could also be used for what lawyers do at trial.

fenixpollo

Senior Member & Moderator
    American English
    What is the SHORTEST way to say this? ¿Comprobar entendimiento?
    As a title or a header in a document, perhaps, but I don’t think your two-word phrase would be easily understood in every context. Are you using it as a noun or a verb? Why do you need the shortest way, and why shout “shortest” at us?