check / inspect / examine [ maintenance report]

< Previous | Next >

GaFu

Chinese
Hi,
I am filling out a form about equipment maintenance activity.

Most of the time I use 'check' in the form or my daily maintenance report.
Now I wondering if 'check', 'inspect', and 'examine' mean the same thing in most situation.
Or there is slight difference between them?

Appreciate much!

• Chez

English English
    Yes, they are very similar. I'd suggest that 'inspect' and 'examine' suggest more detailed 'looking' than simply 'check'.

Check works well for a list of items you need to look at on a routine/regular basis. It suggests that you expect everything to be OK, but you should still go through the process of making sure.

inspect and examine suggest that this is a serious search and that you are looking very closely to see if anything is wrong/out of place.

It's a matter of nuance.

We also tend to use particular words in particular circumstances. For example: we 'inspect' schools (to make sure the educational standard is satisfactory); doctors 'examine' patients to try to find out what's wrong with them; we 'check' that the lights are out in the office before we leave for the night.

Andygc

British English
    Check oil level. - Done quickly and simply - is it between the max and min marks?
    Inspect for bearing wear. - needs to be looked at carefully.

GaFu

Chinese
    Yes, they are very similar. I'd suggest that 'inspect' and 'examine' suggest more detailed 'looking' than simply 'check'.

Check works well for a list of items you need to look at on a routine/regular basis. It suggests that you expect everything to be OK, but you should still go through the process of making sure.

inspect and examine suggest that this is a serious search and that you are looking very closely to see if anything is wrong/out of place.

It's a matter of nuance.

We also tend to use particular words in particular circumstances. For example: we 'inspect' schools (to make sure the educational standard is satisfactory); doctors 'examine' patients to try to find out what's wrong with them; we 'check' that the lights are out in the office before we leave for the night.

Clear! Thanks for your detailed reply.

< Previous | Next >