check the document whether the proof marks have been removed

jkmaster

German - Germany
Hello,

Is it possible to use a phrase like the one in the subject?

One could say "check whether the proof marks have been removed from the document" instead, which I think is correct. However, I'm looking for a way to use the same phrase in other contexts where I have more than one subject in the whether-clause, such as

"check the document whether the proof marks have been erased, the copyright note has been updated and ..."

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Johannes

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Is it possible to use a phrase like the one in the subject? No.

One could say "check whether the proof marks have been removed from the document" instead, which I think is correct. :tick:

However, I'm looking for a way to use the same phrase in other contexts where I have more than one subject in the whether-clause, such as

"check the document whether the proof marks have been erased, the copyright note has been updated and ..." :cross:
    The structure in the thread title is not idiomatic.

"check the document to see/to verify/to determine whether the proof marks have been erased, the copyright note has been updated and ..."

Matching Mole

England, English
    Welcome to the forums, jkmaster.

I consider your subject phrase to be incorrect; in the phrase "check whether" to check is intransitive, but by putting "the document" as a direct object, to check must be transitive. I don't believe you can have it both ways.

Your phrase: "check whether the proof marks have been removed from the document" is fine as the phrase introduced by "whether" is adverbial to the intransitive verb to check, and is therefore not creating a spurious direct object to an intransitively used verb.

Harry Batt

USA English
    As you have written the sentence, a native English speaker would understand what you are trying to convey; that when you are check the docoments it is understood that you will be verifying. However, for the grammatical reason furnished by Mole it would be incorrect and would sound incorrect to the ear.

jkmaster

German - Germany
    Thank you all for your replies, especially for pointing out what exactly is grammatically incorrect with my phrase.

I hope I'll come up with a different phrase. The "check the document to see ..." suggestion looks good, but I should use just the verb "check" and no synonyms.

Regards,
    Johannes

< Previous | Next >