'Check vs check up on/ on/ out/ over' tiles.

newname

Vietnamese
Do the verbs in bold have a similar meaning?

I'll check the tiles.
I'll check up on the tiles.
I'll check on the tiles.
I'll check out the tiles.
I'll check over the tiles.

I look them up in the online Longman dictionary and they mean, more or less, "make sure that sth/sb is true, correct, or acceptable".

Thank you.

• Starfrown

English - US
    By "tiles" I assume you mean the tiles that someone might put on his floor.

Perhaps I can help you:

"I'll check out the tiles" i.e. "I'll look at the tiles and tell you what I think about them/ make sure they're the proper type."

"I'll check over the tiles." This seems more likely to be used after the tiles have been put down with the implication: "I'll make sure they're placed correctly." If this were used before the tiles were put down, I would expect it to mean: "I'll make sure the tiles are okay/ not cracked/ etc."

"I'll check (up) on the tiles." This may mean: "I'll see whether or not the builders have received the tiles" or "I'll see how the tiles are coming along."

Fellow natives, please help! I think the answers may end up being much more complicated than I originally thought!

Last edited:

newname

Vietnamese
    Thank you so much.

Yours is a much better explanation than that of Macmillian. Howerver, I am not certain as to this, "make sure they're the proper type." Do you mean making sure that the tiles are of the type/dimensions that are ordered/required of, etc?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "I'll check out the tiles" i.e. "I'll look at the tiles and tell you what I think about them/ make sure they're the proper type."
    When you "check out the tiles" you look over the whole group of tiles, to make sure they are the right kind, that they are the right type, dimensions, and so forth, as you say.

When you check over the tiles, you look at them one by one, for errors or flaws, as Starfrown says.

I would use I'll check the tiles without a preposition to mean approximately the same thing. However, to me, check over implies a more careful inspection than check by itself.

< Previous | Next >