check what was the content of the order

< Previous | Next >

volver

french belgium
Hello,

Can you please chack what was the content of the customer's order in September.

Can you please tell me where should I put was?
Is it well worded?

Thanks a lot

VOLVER

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    If I understand your post correctly, I would say "Please check the customer's September order." American business English tends toward terseness.

volver

french belgium
    I need to precisedin my request. They need to ckeck what was the content of this package.

Can you please check what was the content.........
    Can you please check what's the content was..........

Are both sentences correct?

Thanks a lot

VOLVER

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    "Can you please check the contents..." if you have the package on hand.
    "Can you please determine the contents...." if you no longer have it in your possession.

Wacky...

Philippines-Tagalog
    Positioning the 'was'

I guess this could help:

In questions, the noun or pronoun follows the verb.
    If the sentence is not a question, the noun or pronoun should precede their verb.

He is here.
    Is he here?

So, is "what <was> the content" a question?
    It is not a question. It's just a part of the sentence "Can you please..." which is a question itself. The position of 'was', then, should be at the last so that it will follow it's noun "the content."
    Also, another sentence you used is "Can you please tell me where should I put was?"
    It should be "where I should put was" because it is not a question. Your real question there is "Can you please tell me...?"
    The words what and where confuses us. We should keep in mind that these words are not used as interrogative words.

Where am I? a question.
    I want to know where I am. not a question

I hope I didn't make it even more confusing. I'm not a native speaker of English xD.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Can you please check what was the content of the customer's order in September.

Can you please tell me where should I put was?
    Is it well worded?
    Please tell me exactly what was in the customer's September order.

That keeps "was", but I would not normally use it. Instead, I would say something like,
    "Please confirm the contents of the September order for [customer name]."

George French

English - UK
    Some asides to:-

"Can you please check what was the content of the customer's order in September?"

Variant: "Can you please check what the content of the customer's order in September was?" is a more natural word order.

The position of was in the original sentence (potentially) suggests that there is some problem with the delivery.

Then why is the content so important?

"Can you please check what the customer's order in September was?" is sufficient. It is unlikely that you can check the content because you probably have sent it allready.

GF..

< Previous | Next >