Checkers

Mikamocha

English-US
Does anyone else say "les drames" for checkers? I saw in a textbook it is les dames and also here on WR but I've grown up saying les dRames...?? :)

• Mayoucha

Arabic & french
    Hi :)
    I have always heard ==> "Jeu de dames"

The word "Drames" means tragedies.

Last edited:

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    Draughts in English. Checkers in USA. Dames in France though I have heard the name "Queens" for this game because the aim is to get as many "queens" as possible to win the game. A draught that reaches the opposite base line is "Queened" (doubled-up) and can move anyway and anywhere (within the rules!).

Quote: La promotion a lieu lorsqu’un pion atteint la dernière rangée : celui-ci devient alors automatiquement une dame. Il est d’usage de superposer deux pions pour représenter une dame.

Mikamocha

English-US
    Over here we call them Kings...and least in my family! We try to get as many kings(doubled up) so that we can move anywhere.. Funny how names can changes depending on where you live. !

guillaumedemanzac

Where is here ("English US")? :confused:

Yes, :thumbsup: I've heard "kings" and the "pawns" are called "draughts" or "pieces" or "pions" before they are kinged/queened/superposés.
    Autre temps, autre moeurs. ;)

Toastrack

British English
    I must say I've never heard 'queened' in English and nor has Wikipedia.' If a player's piece moves into the kings row on the opposing player's side of the board, that piece is said to be crowned (or often kinged in the U.S.)' Nor have I ever heard the game called 'queens'. Perhaps I've been missing something.

guillaumedemanzac

Try googling "queens draughts" which explains the terminology e.g. "The game is played in a similar fashion to English Draughts but the pieces move and capture in an extended fashion. Crowned pieces are called Queens."

Mikamocha

English-US
    Interesting...I'm in the US but my heritage is from the West indies...maybe that's the reason for the difference. Merci ! J'ai beaucoup appris aujourd'hui! :)

< Previous | Next >