cheerleading

< Previous | Next >

SophieD

FRANCE - FRENCH
(also posted on the French-English Forum)

This comes from an American sitcom and I guess that what the girl is saying is supposed to be funny.

Girl (cheerleader) : Cheerleading isn't just about cheering, it's also about leading. When you yell "Go Muskies", what you're really saying is : "In this country, there is absolutely nothing any boy can do that a girl can't cheer for."

What does she mean by "leading" : make the team win or something like "to set an example" ?
Could you please explain or rephrase the last sentence ? I'm not sure I understood it correctly.

• lercarafridi

Spain, Spanish
    Yeah, by leading she means the cheerleader group is a type of igniting the hailing of the team by the fans to whom the cheerleaders are an instance.

The last sentence means that around that place whatever the men do is applauded by the women.;)

Lexiphile

England English
    Hello SophieD,
    I think this was meant to be slightly smutty.
    If a girl is said to be leading, it could mean that she is taking the initiative in social/sexual matters. If the line was really meant to be funny, then the alternatve meaning of "Go Muskies" would tend to corroborate my assumption.

I'm sure you can imagine what a boy might do that a girl would cheer for.

Lexiphile

England English
    Hi again Sophie,
    I mulled over this question last nicht am I am not even happy with my own answer now. The problem lies in the the phrase "In this country..". There is nothing uniquely American about my "smutty" suggestion. But then again, there is nothing particularly funny about what the girl is saying either -- at least not in itself. It seems to me to be a rather silly thing to say. Was she perhaps being sarcastic?

Do you know anything about the character? About the general theme of the sitcom? Or, better still, about the subject of the scene in which this line appeared?
    Did you actually see the scene, so you can tell us about facial expressions and gestures? Any background information you can offer might lead us to a better understanding.

< Previous | Next >