cheers & jeers

Vladislav

Russian,Spanish
Well, I was searching for the word "jeer" in Google and the most popular result was "cheers & jeers". What does it mean? (what does "cheers" mean in this context?)

• Song Sprite

English, Canada
    From an audience, a cheer is a positive vocalized response. A jeer is a negative vocalized response.

Examples of cheers:

"Hooray!" "Yeah!" "Go for the win!" ...etc

Examples of jeers:

"Boo!" "You suck!" "Get off the stage!"

Edit: Just realized I didn't actually answer the question.

"cheers and jeers" would be a mixed response - some positive, some negative. If there are a mix of cheers and jeers during a performance, then probably something about the performance is not pleasing everybody. If a performer gets a mix of cheers and jeers over their lifetime, I would take that to mean that their reputation has had good times and bad times.

cyano

UK - English
    Definitions from the WR English dictionary:

(2) cheer - a cry or shout of approval

(2) jeer - laugh at with contempt and derision; "The crowd jeered at the speaker"

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Not having come across "cheers and jeers" before, I thought I should take a look.
    It seems to be common to put the two together as a compendium heading for anything that includes both praise (cheers) and blame or accusation (jeers) - usually setting itself up to be an independent and objectively robust commentary on ... well, on anything.

Vladislav

Russian,Spanish
    Oh, that's right! Some time ago I've learnt that "cheer(s)" can also mean to applaud or similar. I just forgot abour it (I thought it wasn't used frequently).
    Thank you.

JamesM

Not having come across "cheers and jeers" before, I thought I should take a look.
    It seems to be common to put the two together as a compendium heading for anything that includes both praise (cheers) and blame or accusation (jeers) - usually setting itself up to be an independent and objectively robust commentary on ... well, on anything.
    Agreed. I've seen it used this way many times. It's similar to "Picks & Pans" from a film critic; the ones they recommend that you see are "picks" and the ones they recommend you avoid are "pans." Panj said it perfectly - "cheers" are praise and "jeers" are blame/criticism in this context.

Editor Sam

US English
    This one is good for headlines in news stories where strong opinions for and against are both expressed. The emphasis here is that the opinions were strong for and against, not mild or nuanced. I use it in energy journalism about regulatory docket comments from some stakeholders who are strongly in favor of – and others strongly against – a regulatory proposal.

< Previous | Next >