Cheers or toast to someone?

onitamo

Serbo-Croatian
Please help me, to find most common expression, for situation, when someone at lunch (at the table) lifted glass of wine to say cheers for some brave people , or he wants to express appreciation.

I found 2 expressions for this "toast to"??? and "cheers"..What is more proper?

He cheered to 3 persons ..who did something great, important..
He toasted to 3 persons...who did something..

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • dadane

English (London/Essex)
    I would say "He made/raised a toast to ... " or "He toasted ... ", never "He toasted to ... ". Cheered does not convey the correct connotation, it suggests he shouted enthusiastically rather than said "Cheers", You could say "He said 'cheers' to ... ".

Biffo

English - England
    One person proposes the toast. When the other people respond to the toast they say "Cheers!"

John was the toast of the town.
    They all toasted John.
    The best man proposed a toast to the bride and groom.

"Cheers!" is only used on its own (although I have heard a few people say "Cheers to you!" when drinking to someone)

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    "Cheers" is what you say as a toast - it's not a synonym for toast. That is, when making a toast, you can say many different things, and one of those things is "Cheers."

(Cross-posted with Biffo - who I agree with, by the way)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think that sounds strange as a description. I prefer, 'He toasted three persons ...'.

Biffo

English - England
    One person proposes the toast. When the other people respond to the toast they say "Cheers!"

John was the toast of the town.
    They all toasted John.
    The best man proposed a toast to the bride and groom.

"Cheers!" is only used on its own (although I have heard a few people say "Cheers to you!" when drinking to someone)
    EDIT - I returned to this thread and read my own answer. I see that it isn't 100% accurate. When people respond to a toast they may say 'cheers' but they often repeat the toast in some way.

Example
    Chairman at annual members' outing: I propose a toast to John for his sterling efforts on behalf of the Allotment Preservation Society!
    Society members: To John!/Here's to John!/Cheers John!

One of a group of friends: Good health everybody! [raises glass]
    Friends: Cheers!/Good health! [raise glasses and touch glasses together before drinking]

Last edited:

onitamo

Serbo-Croatian
    I checked once again your answers and I change my statement, to 'He toasted three persons ..."...,because they were not there , otherwise as I understood if they were there , I could write:" He said "Cheers" to ..., Is it so?

< Previous | Next >