chef-lieu de canton

• jamesgreenfield

English
    in the dictionary canton is district. A canton is described as an electoral area into which france's arronissements are divided for administration purposes.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Cantons are different things in different countries.

In Switzerland, chef-lieu de canton would be capital of canton (I have never seen another word used). Lausanne est le chef-lieu du canton de Vaud.

In France, since canton is a different entity, there may be a different word, I don't know. :(

franc 91

English - GB
    I've looked and the only thing I've found is District Council Offices - I suppose you could say District administrative centre - un chef-lieu de canton is the most important commune in the canton which is the constituency of un conseiller général/une conseillère générale. A District is a local administration in its own right with a District Council, the nearest equivalent in France is une Communauté d'Agglomération (mine is called la CAPS).

hddtxj297

english
    Chef-lieu de canton is a town or city that is pre-eminent, from an administrative perspective, in any given sub-division of territory. he capital of a district the next largest division, is also called a chef-lieu. While the capital of the lowest division, the municipalities is called agglomeration de chef-lieu.

atcheque

français (France)
    Bonjour hddtxj297,

What country are you taking about? Because I never heard agglomeration de chef-lieu :confused:
    And we are looking to translate chef-lieu de canton into English.

On French maps, chef-lieu (de canton) is translated Chief town (of canton)

< Previous | Next >