chemical loop-de-loop

password636

China Chinese
Hi,

I'm reading Slash's (guitar player of a rock band GNR) autobiography: SLASH, Slash with Anthony Bozza. And don't understand some phrase in the book. Below is the passage, please help.
---------------
...the pain made my world stand still...The audience didn't know that my heart had done a somersault just before the solo. My body had delivered its karmic retribution; reminding me, on stage, of how many times I'd intentionally served it up a chemical loop-de-loop.
---------------

what does "loop-de-loop" mean? How to prounce "de"? Is it "di" or "di:"?
what does "chemical loop-de-loop" mean?

Thank you very much!

• owlman5

English-US
    If Slash is talking, then a "chemical loop-de-loop" means that he intentionally got very high on drugs many times. Of course, this was bad for his health.

"De" sounds like "duh" in my pronunciation of that compound.

Last edited:

password636

China Chinese
    Yes. It definitely reated to drugs. But what does "chemical loop-de-loop" mean exactly?
    Is it a tool for drugs? Any description? In many western movies, I saw something like pipes or tubes, connected together. Are those things "chemical loop-de-loop"? Thank you

owlman5

English-US
    It's not a tool. It's just a metaphor for strong drug experiences. If you "serve your body a chemical loop-de-loop", you cause your body to react in strange ways by taking recreational drugs (chemicals).

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Just a PS: the fundamental meaning of "loop the loop" *, for me, is an aerobatic manoeuvre where the plane makes a vertical circle, like this

or this

(both diagrams taken from Wiki's article Aerobatic maneuver)

------
    * I think it's usually " loop the loop" in BrE rather than "loop-de-loop".

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    That's a wonderful picture, Loob.

* I think it's usually " loop the loop" in BrE rather than "loop-de-loop"
    I've heard the term so rarely that I'm not sure whether "the" or "de" is normal in AE.:confused:

Edit: Google's Ngram suggests that "loop de loop" is an aberration. Maybe some of those chemicals affected Slash's memory. Hell, maybe they affected mine. :rolleyes:

Loob

English UK
    Oh, I'm sure I've come across "loop-de-loop" before, owlman - just not, I think, from BrE-speakers.

If you add a hyphenated option to your ngram (click), the version with "de" looks quite respectable:D.

Myridon

English - US
    Since it comes from "the", the "de" might be pronounced either duh or dee. As a child, I thought the word was loopty-loop which must have come from a "ee" pronunciation.

< Previous | Next >