Chemistry question (unknown unit)

< Previous | Next >

Milky8384

French - France
Hi everyone,

I met this in an interview : a doctor giving nutrient levels, and the unit is unknown to me :

Magnesium: greater than 2.2 mg/do

Does anyone know what this "do" is ? Thanks a lot !

• Milky8384

French - France
    Thank you for this helpful page ! But it's not that. It's do, not od, and what I mentioned is from a blood test, not the recommendation of some supplement.

manfy

German - Austria
    Magnesium: greater than 2.2 mg/do

Does anyone know what this "do" is ? Thanks a lot !
    Is this by any chance a "hand-made" computer printout? (hand-made as opposed to a formal offset-printed form where the units are pre-printed and the values are handwritten or filled in with typewriter or office printer)
    If so, then it may just be an honest typo. (the l and the o are rather close to each other on the keyboard and you use the same finger for both)

Magnesium levels are usually given in mEq/L (milliequivalents per liter), mmol/L (millimoles per liter) or mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter).
    And one list I'm looking at shows a normal level of serum Magnesium of 1.7-2.8mg/dl for men and 2-3mg/dl for women.
    So, a general threshold test of >2.2mg/dl would make sense.
    If the doctor did not draw your attention to a specific nutrient and its measurement, it "usually" means that the value is within normal range.

If any of the values had been alarmingly off, a medical professional would normally be obliged to tell you, I guess .... well, depending on country, doctor, how much you paid for it, etc. etc., there may exist different standards, though... :eek::rolleyes:

Milky8384

French - France
    Thanks to all of you.
    I too think it's actually mg/dl because I really could'nt find this "do" anywhere else (well... except in the same book, which is probably a poorly edited one, hence the typo)
    Thanks again everyone !

< Previous | Next >