chemist's shop, cabbies, bobbies...BE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comsci

Mandarin, Taiwan(Yankees 40 Wang)
Is chemist's shop a BE synonym for drugstore/pharmacy? How about cabbies for cab/taxi drivers or bobbies for police officers? Are these regional usage or just for Londoners/Aussies/Irish? I've found these differences to be intriguing and I'd like to know more of these terms.

Sorry for bringing up so many at a time but I'd really appreciate if others would provide some more.

Like restroom(US), washroom(Can.), and toilet(UK/AU) How about W.C.?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Is chemist's shop a BE synonym for drugstore/pharmacy? How about cabbies for cab/taxi drivers or bobbies for police officers? Are these regional usage or just for Londoners/Aussies/Irish? I've found these differences to be intriguing and I'd like to know more of these terms.

Sorry for bringing up so many at a time but I'd really appreciate if others would provide some more.

Like restroom(US), washroom(Can.), and toilet(UK/AU)

They are also "cabbies" in Canada.

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German

Like restroom(US), washroom(Can.), and toilet(UK/AU) How about W.C.?

Cabby is a US term as well. I believe bobby is a UK term for cops.

equivoque

Australia - English
    We have cabbies in Australia and Chemists, but no drugstores or bobbies. Toilets is the common name given for them but in some places, the main sign will say "Restrooms -->" BUT - my mother would ask to use the "Ladies'".

equivoque

Australia - English
    Drugstores, as they are depicted on television, seem to sell everything. You certainly can't buy beer and a packet of chips at a chemist in Australia. (Police are cops, excluding numerous derogetory terms.)

equivoque

Australia - English
    Not here. If you ask someone what they do for a living, they would be more likely to say they were a cop rather than a policeman. I suppose it might depend on the age of the person you were talking to, but in general, I'm sure most cops are cops.

The most common derogatory term used is "pigs" and it's very common!

comsci

I used to think that if you say "cops" to "police officers" or "law enforcers" in the States you might end up dead in some Arizona desert. :) I'm always hesitant and cautious not to use something that I'm not quite sure of, to be safe. :)

PS: "pigs" for sure is derogatory in many languages.

equivoque

Australia - English
    Australians (sweeping generalization coming ....) are typically more tolerant of slang and profanity in general conversation than some other countries. So perhaps "cops" is not considered an acceptable term in the US. (?)

But, don't they have a reality tv show called "Cops" - I'm sure I've seen it at some time?

comsci

Yes, that's what I'm talking about, the reality tv show "Cops". I've seen it back in Canada as well on more than one occasion. Whether it's acceptable a term or not, I think it would depend heavily on how people take it and the tone by which you say it.

"What you gonna do..what you gonna do when they come for you bad boys bad boys.." :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Let's not have a general AE/BE differences thread. It would go on for ever, and many of the topics have been aired already.

You are welcome to post threads about specific topics, though it is always worthwhile to use the forum search first.

Status
    Not open for further replies.