Chess game and a sewing exercise

bosun

Banned
korean
The followings are about " the downbird courting rituals" and I am not sure what chess game and a sewing exercise symbolize.
Jared Diamond , a researcher who has studied these unusual birds(downbird) , explains that a make must have skills: physical strenghth, dexterity, and endurance, in addtion to searching skills and memory in order to build a good nest. In human terms, female downbirds choose husbands according to who is most successful in a very difficult athletic contest, combined with a chess game and a sewing exercise. ( what does it indicate?)

• pioussoul

Banned
    Chinese
    Hi, bosun,
    Without further context, you're creating a more interesting guessing game than your questions do.

Joelline

American English
    "Sewing contest" undoubtedly refers to nest-building abilities.

From what you have provided, it is difficult to know exactly how the courtship ritual is like a chess game. I suppose the analogy to chess refers generally to the complexity of the "game," and to the the strategic moves involved.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    In human terms, female downbirds choose husbands according to who is most successful in a very difficult athletic contest, combined with a chess game and a sewing exercise.

Jared Diamond is trying to explain bird behaviour in human terms and there are three criterium.
    1. a very difficult athletic competition
    2. a chess game
    3. a sewing exercise

The chess game is the strategy that the male birds must adopt to attract the female. It is apparently not enough to just be strong and have a good nest. The male bird must perform some variable strategy to bring his nest and athleticism to notice (sounds like a Friday night at the local pub).

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Hi, bosun,
    Without further context, you're creating a more interesting guessing game than your questions do.
    This is one of the more context rich questions I have seen recently. Perhaps you should read the questions a little more carefully or slowly before snipping at perfectly lucid requests.

winklepicker

English (UK)
    who is most successful in a very difficult athletic contest, combined with a chess game and a sewing exercise. ( what does it indicate?)
    I would guess the point he is making is that the male downbird's nestbuilding process requires not only athleticism, but also the complex mental processes associated with playing chess, and the skills in fine work required by a seamstress. In other words, the nest is a highly complex and detailed structure.

< Previous | Next >