[Chess] Opening(s) combo(s)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Omega Force, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Omega Force Senior Member

Spanish
    Hi,

In chess do we say "opening combos", "openings combo" or "openings combos"?

Note : An "opening" is a group of initial moves. And a "combo" is a combination of two openings that work well together.

I want to use the plural form, but I'm not sure if the "s" is on "combo" or on "opening" or on both.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Opening is acting adjectivally and English adjectives are not inflected.
    "opening combos" :tick:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. Omega Force Senior Member

Spanish
  4. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    In the phrase "opening combo," it's an adjective, just as it is in phrases such as "opening day" or "opening bid."

5. Winstanley808 Banned

English - U.S.
    If you want to be technical, "opening" is a gerund. Whether it's that or a noun, it is being used as an "attributive," which is just a fancy term for "adjective." Terms like "noun," "gerund," and "adjective" are from the grammar used to describe Latin, which had only adjectives and participles to modify nouns; to modify another noun, a noun had to be turned into an adjective by adding an ending. The Germanic languages, including English, don't require this. Modern German itself would just put the words for "opening" and "combination" together and call the first few moves of a chess game an "openingcombination.":)

6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I wrote:
    I did not say it was an adjective.

7. goldenband Senior Member

English - American
    Speaking as a chessplayer, I've never heard "combo" used this way. In chess, "combo" (short for "combination") usually means a tactical sequence that wins material, i.e. Yasser Seirawan's book Winning Chess Combinations.

If you want to talk about combining elements from two different openings, I'd talk about a "hybrid" opening, e.g. "The Anglo-Indian is a hybrid of the English Opening and the King's Indian Defense".