Chevrons on the tab

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jacdac, Sep 11, 2017.

1. jacdac

jacdac Senior Member

Lebanese
    One of the grunts turned around. Chevrons on the tab in the centre of his chest. Twenty years younger than Reacher, at least. A whole different generation. The military police has no secret handshake.
    Source: No Middle Name by Lee Child
    Context: Reacher is at a holiday resort. The hiking track has been blocked by Miliatry Police.

If a sergeant is wearing a BDU with chevrons, is the tab the thick frabic upon which the chevrons are sewed?
    How does a garment tab look like?

chevron: A line or stripe in the shape of a V or an inverted V, esp. one on the sleeve of a uniform indicating rank or length of service
    tab:
    1. A small flap or strip of material attached to or projecting from something, used to hold or manipulate it, or for identification and information
    2. A similar piece of material forming part of a garment
    Thank you.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    First of all, I have no idea what he means. By chevrons, I assume he means rank. I don't know what a "tab" might be. And the only thing that might be centered on your chest would be your dogtags hanging from a chain.

Rank is normally sewn onto your collars, like this:

rank.jpg

Your name and branch tapes are above your pockets:

woodland-quickfinder_edited-2.jpg

3. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    I'm ahead of you, Copy. ;)
    It's now normal on military combat clothing, in some countries, to have a rank tab on the front of the jacket, in the middle of the chest, rather than having epaulettes on both shoulders. This applies to all ranks - enlisted and commissioned. The rank slide that fits onto the tab is black on green. That means that everybody wears the same combat clothing and makes it difficult for snipers to identify officers.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Always happy to learn – I couldn’t find a photo. So I searched again ... thanks:

074C8D94-FA94-4D11-A1F7-E4F31C835ACD.jpeg

5. jacdac

jacdac Senior Member

Lebanese
    Thank you. So what is a tab? Looking at the picture, are the rank tabs those sewn goodies (ranks) above the US ARMY tag? The one in the centre? Is a tab a short for rank tab?

6. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I believe that the US Army sews on the rank chevrons.

Lee Child sometimes mixes up his British and American details.

Here is an image of a British uniform. The ranks appear to be applied with Welcro:

[​IMG]

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It’s a tab of material with a rank insignia on it.

EB4EA894-1566-4DA0-AEE7-884FB111AC81.png

In this case, he appears to be a Lt. Colonel. Chevrons would indicate an enlisted man, like this for a sergeant in the U.S. Army ...

085373B2-6A6E-46AA-B91E-87072787ADBF.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  8. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    This US Army owned website discusses the insignia attachment:

ACU changes make Velcro optional, patrol cap default headgear

Also included were Velcro fasteners that allowed pockets to be sealed shut, sleeves to be cinched down, and rank insignia, name tapes, service tapes, patches and skill badges to be added and removed at will -- without time-consuming and sometimes costly trips to clothing alterations.

Still, some Soldiers were displeased with Velcro on the uniform, Chandler said.

The Army's new policy on attaching accouterments to the ACU will allow Soldiers to sew on rank insignia, the name tape and the service tape. Additionally, skill badges such as the Airborne, pathfinder, combat action, combat infantryman's, and expert infantryman's badge will also be authorized for sewing.

9. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    British? Skill badges, whatever they are, "pinned" onto combat kit? Why on Earth do you think that is British Army uniform? Try Google images for "British Army combat dress".

10. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
  11. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    And here we have Captain Wales wearing his pips on a similar tab:

[​IMG]