chewed a new one

sophi979

Serbo-Croatian
Hi all,

A newbie journalist in a war zone gets a scoop. Later that day, a colleague journalist says to her:

Do you know how many of these people hate you right now? Scooped by the newbie. There’s a few seen-it-all boys here got chewed a new one.

What does the expression "get chewed a new one" mean?

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    A newbie journalist in a war zone gets a scoop. Later that day, a colleague journalist says to her:

Do you know how many of these people hate you right now? Scooped by the newbie. There’s a few seen-it-all boys here got chewed a new one.

What does the expression "get chewed a new one" mean?
    This expression is brand-new to me (eastern US), and my searches turn up nothing. I'll be interested to see if someone can explain it.

Myridon

English - US
    It's two idioms in combination - airportzombie's and "to chew someone out" (to scold or verbally berate someone).

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I looked it up and found it used many times with a similar sort of meaning but couldn't get a slang dictionary type definition. I asked Lord Golightly too, who is (or was until recently) more versed in American slang than me, but he had never heard it either.

I wondered if the word 'by' had been omitted, 'chewed [by] a new one' (the 'new one' being the newbie journalist), but it seems that's not so.

'Chew/ed/(up') is very common in slang expressions with a variety of negative meanings, with the annoyed/angered/ upset type of meaning as a major category, so I have a rough idea what it means here. It's the 'chew' + 'a new one' that rather puzzles me.
    Does it mean something like "in a new way"?

Hermione

< Previous | Next >