Chewy (behavior intervention)

< Previous | Next >

gunslingingbird

Chilango and California English
Hello all. I'm translating a functional behavior assessment for a kid who bites anyone who gets too close to him. One of the recommendations that the behaviorist lists is for the kid to have a chewy during the day for sensory input. From my understanding, it's something like a tube that the kid bites on instead of biting other people. Does anyone know what the correct term for it is? I'm thinking sonda masticable, but I don't know if that's correct or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• gunslingingbird

Chilango and California English
    I had the same thought, but I think it's the same in English, since we could call this thing a "biter."
    Really? According to the behaviorist and the case manager it's called a chewy. Biter sounds more like a real name. I wish people would stick to using the real names of things instead of their cutesy little nicknames.

gengo

American English
    Really? According to the behaviorist and the case manager it's called a chewy. Biter sounds more like a real name. I wish people would stick to using the real names of things instead of their cutesy little nicknames.
    I'm not talking about what it's actually called by professionals, but what a native speaker might call it, based on customary English usage. I was merely pointing out that "biter" could be interpreted to refer to both the thing and the person doing the biting, which was your comment about mordedor.

< Previous | Next >