chicken

• scotu

Chicago English
    Here in Mexico "pollo" is on the plate and "un pollo" is still running around.
    The distinction between gallina and pollo is made about as often as Americans make the distinction between chickens and hens (where I come from, they both lay eggs.)

scotu

Antpax

Spanish Spain
    Hi,

In my neck on the woods they are different animals and both of them can be eaten. Chicken = pollo and Hen = Gallina.

We use this words for the animal and for the food.

Cheers.

Ant

viviana jones

Spanish & Catalan
    But, can we translate chicken as gallina? (alive animal)
    In the dictionaries, gallina is only hen or coward. Not chicken.

I have to translate a text that speaks about chickens and I'm sure the author is speaking about gallinas, because she uses the feminin pronoun. (Although this can be because she was born in a Latinoamerican country).

Here is a sample:
    "One day, as I was playing with some bugs, a chicken came up to me and ate them. She looked into my eyes, clucked a few times and then proceeded to scratch the ground in front of me in a very focused manner, pecking at invisible things".

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    But, can we translate chicken as gallina? (alive animal)
    In the dictionaries, gallina is only hen or coward. Not chicken.

I have to translate a text that speaks about chickens and I'm sure the author is speaking about gallinas, because she uses the feminin pronoun. (Although this can be because she was born in a Latinoamerican country).

Here is a sample:
    "One day, as I was playing with some bugs, a chicken came up to me and ate them. She looked into my eyes, clucked a few times and then proceeded to scratch the ground in front of me in a very focused manner, pecking at invisible things".
    Cuando en español hablamos en general de las aves que criamos en nuestro gallinero, decimos "las gallinas". En inglés dicen "the chickens" (más allá de que no sean pollos jóvenes sino gallinas adultas). Así que yo creo que sí, que puedes traducirlo como gallina.

< Previous | Next >