chill out whatcha yelling for?

patriciaming

spanish-dominican republic
Hi, can someone explain me the meaning of " chill out whatcha yelling for?
please, I don't understand the meaning of this fhrase.
thanks

• . 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Chill out is a version of 'be cool' which in this context means to calm down.

The message conveyed is to calm down and stop making so much noise and fuss.

Kelly B

USA English
    Agreed. And whatcha is an abbreviated form of what are you: What are you yelling for = for what reason (why) are you yelling?

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    Shouldn't a comma be added after "chill out" in this sentence? If not, I have difficulty understanding it. Could you please tell me whether I'm wrong or not?

Kelly B

USA English
    If punctuation were included, I'd use a semicolon, a period, or an exclamation point, because the two clauses are independent. Chill out! can stand alone as an imperative statement, and Whatcha yelling for? stands alone as a question.

I freely admit that a semicolon would look really silly in such an slangy context.
    But I like semicolons.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    coconutpalm said:
    Shouldn't a comma be added after "chill out" in this sentence? If not, I have difficulty understanding it. Could you please tell me whether I'm wrong or not?
    This is the first time I have ever seen a slang expression interpreted by a non native speaker to the point of raising valid questions relating the punctuation that natives unconsciously insert into the phrase to give meaning.

Punctuation rules. O.K.?

Sierra

English
    patriciaming said:
    Hi, can someone explain me the meaning of " chill out whatcha yelling for?
    please, I don't understand the meaning of this fhrase.
    thanks
    As this phrase comes from an Avril Lavigne song, I wouldn't read too much into correct grammar or punctuation!! :) There are all sorts of examples of poor writing in musical lyrics but that's the nature of song-writing. Well done on the interpretations and corrections in any case.

The whole phrase can just be re-written as:

"Calm down, why are you yelling?" or "Relax, what's the reason for yelling?"

< Previous | Next >