chimera

albondiga

English/USA
Hi all,

I was wondering whether the word "chimera" is commonly used in Italian (its parallel is not frequently used in English)... would it be used in oridinary daily Italian speech? If so, can someone give me a better understanding of how it is used, and the connotations it has? (i.e, how does it differ from "fantasia", etc.?)

Thanks!

• vikgigio

Italian, Italy
    It has a slightly different meaning than 'fantasia': a 'chimera' is something unrealizable, a dream which is very unlikely to come true, while 'fantasia' in just a general term which refers to something imagined in one's mind.

venice

italiano
    It has a slightly different meaning than 'fantasia': a 'chimera' is something unrealizable, a dream which is very unlikely to come true, while 'fantasia' in just a general term which refers to something imagined in one's mind.
    Yes, you are right and as usual precise. This is the best meaning of the word. Ciao!

albondiga

English/USA
    OK, that makes sense, grazie!

< Previous | Next >