Chinese auction

< Previous | Next >

Cecilly

French
Bonjour,
J'ai besoin d'aide pour traduire l'expression "Chinese auction". Il me semble que celle-ci est généralement traduite en "enchères chinoises", mais il me semble aussi qu'il y a une dimension raciste dans cette expression... Quelqu'un pourrait-il me l'expliquer ? Et m'aider à trouver une expression équivalente en français ?
Merci d'avance!

• misterk

English-American
    From the Wikipedia entry for "Chinese auction":

A Chinese auction is a combination of a raffle and an auction that is typically featured at charity, church festival and numerous other events. Can also be known as penny social, tricky tray or pick-a-prize according to local custom, or to avoid causing offence.

The difference between a raffle and a Chinese auction is that in a raffle with multiple prizes, there is one "hat" from which names are drawn, but in a Chinese auction each prize has its own "hat". This allows ticket buyers to choose which prize to focus on, as opposed to having a first, second, third, etc. prize.

There is more explanation and discussion on the Wikipedia page (which, unfortunately, is not translated into French).

< Previous | Next >