chinnie

< Previous | Next >

Garin

Czech - Czechia
In 100 Bullets comics, a girl is talking to her boyfriend:
  • Can you take me to the movies tonight?
  • Tonight? The Lonesome Bones're playin' over by Larrys joint.
  • So we are going to the show? An' out fer chinnie afterwards?
The dialogue is in a very colloquial language and sometimes the words are distorted beyond recognition (at least for a non-native speaker). The only definition I found was in Urban Dictionary, but it does not seem to be much helpful. It could be written with capital C, Chinnie, as in comics, all the dialogues are in block letters, anyway. The only thing that comes to my mind is that she could mean "Chinese food, go to Chinese restaurant", but I would rather hear (and use) an opinion of a native speaker. Please, help me out.

• Copyright

American English
    Perhaps it's short for chinwag, a chat ... and I imagine a chat over drinks.

But that's speculation. Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Added: And they already have. :)

quillerbee

Canadian English
    100 bullets is an American comic and the dialogue is very colloquial American. A chinwag is very British -- I can't imagine that most Americans (especially people who say "joint") have ever heard the term, much less use it in the diminutive like this. Furthermore, I can't imagine that she wants to go out to talk.o_O

Maybe she wants to go dancing. I have no idea.

Copyright

American English
    All I can think of is "out for Chinee" -- that is, go and get some Chinese food.
    Funny ... I was about to come back and suggest that when I found that chinny was used to refer to Chinese people. Sounds like a better suggestion than chinwag ... even if I had them chatting over drinks. :)

Added: I really need to read the entire OP (which I just did). Sorry that I didn't see that you suggested this Garin ... I would likely have agreed at once rather than having a chinwag. :rolleyes: I also forgot how good you are with English – thanks for the reminder. :cool:

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    I thought of 'Chinese food' before Garin even suggested it ~ mainly because chinnie is similar(ish) to BrE chinky* ~ a slang term for 'Chinese food'.

*Potentially offensive, though I've never actually tried it on a Chineseperson.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    I thought of 'Chinese food' before Garin even suggested it ~ mainly because chinnie is similar(ish) to BrE chinky* ~ a slang term for 'Chinese food'.

** very definitely offensive, it's the direct equivalent of the N word (black people) and the P word (South Asians) in reference to East Asians.

Pedro y La Torre

English (Ireland)

That's common in Ireland too (in reference to a Chinese takeaway). I see it as less racist than "Chink" for some reason.

< Previous | Next >