chip décor

Madonna Halim

Arabic
In this product DOUBLE SURPRISE POPPER, WITH CONFETTI, it's said "Double Popper includes themed stickers and chip décor for even more party fun. " what's "chip décor "?
here's the site: Party Popteenies

• suzi br

English / England
    No idea.
    The whole thing looks ghastly so it will be some utterly useless bits of plastic or glittery stickers maybe. Whatever it is, it is probably going to be in the rubbish bin before long.

suzi br

English / England
    Possibly. It’s not part of our everyday language.

Do you have to translate this for your job?
    Otherwise you can file it under “useless junk” and move on to something else.

suzi br

English / England
    Poor thing! I don’t know how to help! Maybe just literally translate each word into the target language?

ewie

English English
    As the balloons and the bunting in the picture [#4] seem to be the only things that might be classed as 'décor', you might try to translate party decorations into your target :)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I don't know how 'décor' can be included in anything. It's not a thing, it's a property of some other thing, like a room. A room has a décor but you can't pick the décor up or even point at it. Never mind chip décor. I have no idea what 'chip' means here - nothing in those pictures looks like any of the meanings of chip that I know, and I can't see anything that I would say has a décor (much less is a décor).

london calling

UK English
    I'm wondering if they mean 'cheap'. And in any case 'décor' is the wrong word. I think ewie's right: they mean (cheap) party decorations . I daresay this the English version of a foreign website (and no, I haven't read it: when I wento to open it it said the site wasn't secure so I closed it).

Edit.

Just found this (prnewswire.com):
    TORONTO, June 4, 2018 /PRNewswire/ - Spin Master Corp. (TSX: TOY; www.spinmaster.com), a leading children's entertainment company, announced today the launch of a brand new line of collectible dolls and accessories, Party Popteenies.

And:

Wikipedia:
    Spin Master is a Canadian global toy and entertainment company marketing consumer products for children. Its brands include Bakugan, Gund, Etch A Sketch, Erector Set by Meccano, Air Hogs, PAW Patrol, Aquadoodle, Tech Deck, Hatchimals and Zoomer. Spin Master employs over 1600 people globally with offices in Canada, United States, Mexico, France, Italy, United Kingdom, Slovakia, Poland, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Vietnam and Australia.

So who knows who coined the term 'chip décor'...

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    :idea:/:eek: Maybe they meant chic ... ! (I've seen the sight site, LC, and I can assure you the whole thing is the very antithesis of chic.)

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    I expect 'chip' is short for 'chipboard.'
    Someday people will get PhDs in Art History by writing dissertations about this stuff.

suzi br

English / England
    Someday people will get PhDs in Art History by writing dissertations about this stuff.
    :D

But the work also has a more universal address, which is not to deny the complications of contempraneous aesthetics, but to eke out a space for a wider spectatorship. The work makes me think of Lacan’s dictum that there is a void at the heart of the subject that we fill with signifiers which communicate with one another rather than express our intimate sense of being and our traumatic relationship to death.

loosely based on Art and Psychoanalysis by Maria Walsh

You’re welcome.

Last edited:

Roxxxannne

:D

But the work also has a more universal address, which is not to deny the complications of contempraneous aesthetics, but to eke out a space for a wider spectatorship. The work makes me think of Lacan’s dictum that there is a void at the heart of the subject that we fill with signifiers which communicate with one another rather than express our intimate sense of being and our traumatic relationship to death.

loosely based on Art and Psychoanalysis by Maria Walsh

You’re welcome.
    :D :D
    I am still hoping someone will write history of tattooing called Tats: Inscribing (on) the Landscape of the Body.

Myridon

English - US
    I'm pretty sure that the "decor" in question is the paper balloons and banners. You could use them to decorate a room (in a dollhouse).
    decor.png

Until I looked it up just now, I thought BrE "chipboard" only meant AmE "particle board" (from watching BrE DIY shows like Changing Rooms). Turns out it also means AmE "cardboard" but I'm unsure whether it could really refer to this paper which is just thin, stiff paper (I'd call it card or cardstock).

Myridon

English - US
    That's news to me :eek:
    Sorry, I slightly misread the Wikipedia article.
    Chipboard - Wikipedia

The article on "paperboard" has a picture of AmE "cardboard", but it's really referring to just the outside layer of the cardboard as "paperboard". Does that make sense? "Paperboard" is also not a familiar term.

ewie

English English
    Well, you're (or Wikipedia is) getting into non-layman's terms there, Myri, and consequently losing me entirely. Paperboard means nothing to me either.
    I'm pretty sure AmE layman's cardboard is the same stuff as BrE layman's cardboard.

Roxxxannne

Chipboard as I understand it is the same as particleboard, which is entirely different from cardboard. You can fold cardboard and cut cardboard with scissors or a razor blade. Particleboard and chipboard are not foldable, and you need a saw blade to cut them.

< Previous | Next >