chipped mug


Senior Member
Is it possible to say that a 'chipped mug' is a mug which is 'spoiled on its border'? or should I use other words, for example 'rim', or 'edge' instead of 'border'? Is 'spoiled' right in this context?
Thank you very much.
  • morgoth2604

    Senior Member
    Israel - (Fluent Hebrew and English), Passable French, Horrid German
    I think you're better off using "rim" to describe something that's more circular, "border" seems to me rather linear. As for spoiled, it doesn't really fit, I would use 'broken' or 'ruined'.

    jess oh seven

    Senior Member
    UK/US English
    "spoiled" would not work in this context. we use "spoiled" to mean more like "rotten" or more figuratively, a person that always gets what they want (like a "spoiled/spoilt child whose parents give them everything they ask for")

    glasses, mugs and cups have "rims". you could say a broken or damaged rim instead. but i think "chipped" fits better, and you're more likely to use it in a context involving dishes.


    Senior Member
    Jess has already offered the best alternative, I think, to 'chipped'. I might say that 'the rim is damaged', but I would only use that phrase to explain to a non-native what I meant by
    < Previous | Next >