chocolate and vanilla swirl soft-serve ice cream

< Previous | Next >

LaLeeRu

USA
English
While on vacation in France I wanted to order a chocolate and vanilla soft-serve ice cream, however, I could not figure out how to say it. Google translate indicates that it is: la glace molle tourbillonnée. Is that correct?
Thanks,
LaLeeRu

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    And DeepL translates it as:
    crème glacée douce au chocolat et à la vanille​
    Wikipedia's sister article of soft-serve gives
    La glace à l'italienne, ou crème glacée molle​
    It's quite possible that the expression does not exist or is completely different.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Well, it might not be technically correct, but for me "swirl soft-serve ice cream" is "une glace à l'italienne". I can't imagine how it could not be a swirl.
    Glace à l'italienne — Wikipédia

I've never heard "crème glacé molle" and it just sounds funny to me.
    ""tourbillon" de crème glacée " sounds extremely fancy while "glaces à l'italienne" are very popular (especially on the seaside and other touristic places) and already have a name, so why invent another one?

The main flavour are "vanille-fraise" (miam) but if you want chocolate and vanilla, that would be:
    "glace à l'italienne chocolat vanille".

LaLeeRu

USA
    English
    "Une glace à l'italienne" sounds like gelato to me. But I am referring to the chocolate and vanilla ice cream that is ''swirled together'' and comes out of a machine directly. But perhaps it is such a new concept in France that there is no name for it. In English we would call this a cone with "vanilla and chocolate ice cream swirled together'' and it seems to me that over time it has been truncated to simply a "vanilla and chocolate swirl." Thank you, everyone, for all of your suggestions and helpful expressions. I should add that the reason for my inquiry was that the vendor had no idea what I wanted and in fact, he made me a vanilla cone which he proceeded to dip in chocolate. Also very good, but not what I had ordered. :-(

1565106780128.png

tartopom

French
    To me gelato is a kind of icecream mainly served in scoops.
    "glace à l'italienne" comes out of a machine and looks like swirled ice cream - like in your pic.

BTW next time ask the vendor "une glace à l'italienne".

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    LaLeeRu, did you look at the pictures I added? Here is a machine de glace italienne.
    You can even see one in action here.
    It is not a new concept in France (I've always known it. We're not that backward you know) and no wonder the vendor was confused if you asked for a "crème glacée molle" or something similar.

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    Au Québec, on commande un twist vanille et chocolat. Mais twist, tout court, est compris.
    Le classique « twist » crème glacée molle vanille et chocolat. « Pimpez-le » avec nos nombreux extras faits maison.
    Si on dit un cornet de / une crème glacée molle sans préciser le parfum... elle est automatiquement servie à la vanille. :)
    I've never heard "crème glacée molle" and it just sounds funny to me.
    Je ne suis pas étonnée. C'est un calque de soft ice cream.
    Tu l'entendrais chez-nous, où « crème glacée » est plus courant que « glace ».

Ce qui suit est un plus long extrait de la page de Wiki que SwissPete a mise en lien au post 2:
    La glace à l'italienne, ou crème glacée molle, est un type de crème glacée très aérée, préparée dans une machine réfrigérante ou avec poche à douille, qui la sert directement dans le cornet. Ce type de glace ne vient pas d'Italie mais des États-Unis. La glace américaine, ou Soft Serve (en anglais), a été créée en 1938 dans l'Illinois.
    Comme LaLeeRu, je confondrais glace à l'italienne avec gelato / Italian ice cream.
    ���
    Terme anglais : Italian ice creamglace italienne n. f.
    Synonymes :
    glace à l'italienne n. f.
    crème glacée italienne n. f.
    crème glacée à l'italienne n. f.
    Synonyme :
    gelato

Last edited by a moderator:

LaLeeRu

USA
    English
    Thank you, everyone, for the very thorough explanation/definition. I am very excited to use this new expression the next time I am in France. Thank you, DearPrudence for the photo and the video link, too. This was extremely helpful!

< Previous | Next >