Choice of venue

< Previous | Next >

felixwong33

Chinese
1. Don't give her a chance to think or question your choice of venue.

2. The NEC is the natural choice of venue for major exhibitions.

3. Professionals working in sports medicine have a choice of venue as well as setting.

Are we using "venue" as an uncountable noun in the above sentences? If it is not uncountable, why there is no determiner or the word is not in plural?

And more interestingly, it seems to be the case in some words like choice and change only because when we use other word like selection (refer to e.g. below), the noun after of is usually in plural or with a determiner or pronoun.

4. We interviewed a random selection of teenagers.

5. A selection of readers’ comments are published below.

6. The commission was born in 1987 when the two major parties signed a secret agreement -- ominously titled a " Memorandum of Understanding " -- that detailed everything from the selection of venues and panelists to the heights of podiums and the camera angles to be used.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    in 1. and 2. the venue (singular) has already been chosen i.e. Don't give her the chance to question the venue you have chosen / The NEC is naturally/obviously chosen as the venue.."
    In 3. I understand it to mean "Professionals working in........can choose a venue" rather than "Professionals working in..... are given "a choice of venues" from which to select."

felixwong33

Chinese
    in 1. and 2. the venue (singular) has already been chosen i.e. Don't give her the chance to question the venue you have chosen / The NEC is naturally/obviously chosen as the venue.."
    In 3. I understand it to mean "Professionals working in........can choose a venue" rather than "Professionals working in..... are given "a choice of venues" from which to select."
    So do you mean the article "a" is omitted in 3? (i.e. a choice of a venue)

< Previous | Next >