choisir un plat à la carte

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Le Prado, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Le Prado New Member

Francais-France
    En france , au restaurant, on peut choisir un plat dans un menu ou un plat à la carte....
    Comment peut on traduire "choisir un plat à la carte"?
    merci

2. BEEKEEPER Senior Member

France French
    Ou plutôt un menu ou un plat à la carte, si je puis me permettre pour nos amis anglophones.

3. constantlyconfused

constantlyconfused Senior Member

English - British
    I've lived in Thailand for over a decade, so I'm a bit rusty on expensive restaurant terminology, however...

In English, we tend to use a lot of French terms in the restaurant sector.
    The two that spring most readily to mind in your context are:

A la carte is an English language loan phrase meaning "according to the menu", and used
    • in reference to a menu of items priced and ordered separately, i.e., the usual operation of restaurants. This is in contrast to a table d'hôte, at which a menu with limited or no choice is served at a fixed price.
    • to order an item from the menu on its own, e.g., a steak without the potatoes and vegetables is steak à la carte
    • À la carte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    table d'hôte - "a restaurant meal offered at a fixed price and with few if any choices"
    "In restaurant terminology a table d'hôte menu is a menu where multi-course meals with only a few choices are charged at a fixed total price. Such a menu may also be called prix fixe ("fixed price"). The terms set meal and set menu are also used."
    Table d'hôte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd probably translate your phrase as simply "Select a dish from the menu", but I think you should clarify exactly what you mean by each term, as I suspect there are different interpretations.

4. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    It is "choose a dish from the menu"...but then you have the problem of translating "un menu".

(There is the old joke that "à la carte" means "off the trolley"..."table d'hôte" being "off the hotplate":))

PS constantlyconfused gave the answer while I was bumbling but forgot to include the joke.

5. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    choose a dish from the à la carte menu