Choose a language from a drop-down menu. (wählen vs. auswählen)

raspberry_tea

Filipino
Hi,

I'm trying to translate something and i'm not quite sure which word to use for "choose"? Like choose a language from the drop-down menu

eine Sprache im Abroll-Menu wählen (or auswählen)?

I was told that there are different nuances for these words

• Kajjo

1. In diesem Fall sind beide Verben OK. Man kann eine Sprache aus dem Menü wählen oder in dem Menü ein Sprache auswählen.

2. Den Ausdruck "Abroll-Menü" habe ich noch nie gehört. Ich schätze, daß Du bei einfach bei "Menü" oder "Pulldown-Menü" bleiben kannst. Sonst verwirrt man die Leser eher!

Kajjo

Ralf

German
    While "auswählen" has the connotation of selecting/picking out from a number of several object "wählen" also means 'to opt for', 'to vote', 'to elect' or 'to dial' (referring to telephon numbers). However, in the context given either would be fine with me.

By the way, welcome to the German forum.

Ralf

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Kajjo said:
    2. Den Ausdruck "Abroll-Menü" habe ich noch nie gehört. Ich schätze, daß Du bei einfach bei "Menü" oder "Pulldown-Menü" bleiben kannst. Sonst verwirrt man die Leser eher!
    Was heißt denn "pulldown"? Das habe ich noch nie gehört. "Pop-down-Menü" ist da schon geläufiger, denke ich. ;)

Kajjo

The terms "pull-down menu" and "drop-down menu" are nowadays used synonymously.

In a more precise way, the term "pull-down menu" used to suggest that you have to hold down the mouse button while making your selection, while the term "drop-down menu" refers to a mechanism were you click the menu title, move the mouse without holding down the button and click to select the desired entry. Today, some websites' navigational menus still use the pulldown mechanism while all Windows programs and most website navigations use the dropdown style.

Anyway, the terms ARE synonymous nowadays and most programmer's references use both terms in a single document.

Google concurrs that both terms are widely used:
    (with all thoughts about Google-language statistics in mind...)
    pulldown menu: 14.5 Mio
    dropdown menu: 56 Mio

Kajjo

raspberry_tea

Filipino
    Wow! I didn't know that. :) Thanks for the clarifications.

Wie sagt man "Pull-down/Drop-down Menu" auf Deutsch denn?

Darf ich Pulldown-Menü sagen? May I use this term for both Pull-down and Drop-down Menu?

Danke

Kajjo

Hi Raspberry,
    am gebräuchlichsten ist meiner Meinung nach im Deutschen "Pulldown-Menu" in eben dieser Schreibweise. Du kannst aber auch "Dropdown-Menu" verwenden.
    Kajjo

< Previous | Next >