choose sth for the wedding / for the wedding dress / as the wedding dress

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
Hi,

Which of the following options do you think is natural?

I'll choose this one for the wedding / for the wedding dress / as the wedding dress.

I'd appreciate your help.

• london calling

UK English
    All three sentences sound a little odd. I suppose you mean that you are shown different wedding dresses and you choose one of them and say: "I'll have/take that one, please".

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    All three sentences sound a little odd. I suppose you mean that you are shown different wedding dresses and you choose one of them and say: "I'll have/take that one, please".
    Alright. Let's describe a past event. Can we say "Mary chose this one for the wedding / as the wedding dress / for the wedding dress"?

london calling

UK English
    Alright. Let's describe a past event. Can we say "Mary chose this one for the wedding / as the wedding dress / for the wedding dress"?
    Ok, so let's put this in context. You were standing in front of a series of dresses and pointing out to someone else the dress that Mary has chosen:

Mary chose this one for the wedding. Yes, in the context above. Otherwise, without context, it would not be clear if Mary is choosing her wedding dress or something to wear to somebody else's wedding.

Mary chose this one as the her wedding dress. Yes, Mary is the bride and she has chosen the dress she wishes to wear at her wedding.

Mary chose this one for her the wedding dress. This is just about possible but I prefer 'as' to 'for'.

Last edited:

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    Ok, so let's put this in context. You were standing in front of a series of dresses and pointing out to someone else the dress that Mary has chosen:

Mary chose this one for the wedding. Yes, in the context above. Otherwise, without context, it would not be clear if Mary is choosing her wedding dress or something to wear to somebody else's wedding.

Mary chose this one as the her wedding dress. Yes, Mary is the bride and she has chosen the dress she wishes to wear at her wedding.

Mary chose this one for her the wedding dress. This is just about possible but I prefer 'as' to 'for'.
    What do you mean by"just about possible"? Are you saying that sentence is almost possible?

< Previous | Next >