Chopped liver, gizzard

asmaaelteify

Arabic
Hello,

I came across Chopped Liver and Gizzard in a novel, and I don't know whether the writer uses them literally or metaphorically. Here is the context.

“I didn’t think my boy would ever find himself a decent woman,” said Rhonda. “I suppose he’ll mess it up.”

“‘Decent woman?’ What was I—
chopped liver?” sniped

Carlene. “It wasn’t my fault Lester couldn’t see a good thing when it was right in front of his face.”

“Lester always liked liver,”
Rhonda snapped back. “You, Carlene, are just a scrawny old chicken gizzard.”

Thank you!

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    “‘Decent woman?’ What was I—chopped liver?” sniped <-- this is metaphorical

Carlene. “It wasn’t my fault Lester couldn’t see a good thing when it was right in front of his face.”

“Lester always liked liver,”
    Rhonda snapped back. <-- this is literal, I think

“You, Carlene, are just a scrawny old chicken gizzard.” <-- this is metaphorical

For me, chopped liver is better than chicken gizzard. I don't know that is the sense here.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Thanks for that, cidertree. I wasn't aware of that. This is mainly a Jewish or American idiom: What Am I, Chopped Liver? - Phrase Meaning and Idiom Origins

A rhetorical question used by a person who feels they are being given less attention or consideration than someone else.

Rhonda appears to use it as an active metaphor when she describes Carlene as old chicken gizzard. (Is that another side dish? Is the assumption that this is inferior to chopped liver?)

Myridon

English - US
    The second time it's just "liver" so we might assume that Lester likes any kind of liver served as food. Chopped liver, calf's liver with onions, fried chicken livers, etc.
    Fried chicken livers and fried chicken gizzards can both be had as entrees (main dishes) in the US. Chicken gizzards are, to me, too chewy and don't have much flavor - I don't see the point of fried clams for much the same reason. I imagine the gizzard of an old chicken would be quite tough.