chosen for the Peace Prize... declined, stating that...

Hindi
This question was asked in an exam in India as...

In the following questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is the answer. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (4) i.e. No error.

Le Duc Tho, chosen for the 1973 Peace Prize for his (1)/ act in the Paris Peace Accords, declined, stating (2)/ that there was no actual peace in Vietnam. (3)/ No error (4)

As per the official answer key, the error is in "part 2". Would it be "had declined" instead of "declined"?

Thanks in advance.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I agree with grassy. The most obvious candidate is "part".

If it were "had declined", the declining would have to have come before something else, and the only other thing that happened is that he was chosen. But his declining came after the choosing. The stating happened at the same time as the declining.

Hindi
    I agree with grassy. The most obvious candidate is "part".

If it were "had declined", the declining would have to have come before something else, and the only other thing that happened is that he was chosen. But his declining came after the choosing. The stating happened at the same time as the declining.
    Then what is the error?

Myridon

English - US
    The original seems to be:
    The other one was Le Duc Tho, chosen for the 1973 Peace Prize for his role in the Paris Peace Accords. He declined, stating that there was no actual peace in Vietnam.