choupinou

Moderator note: Several similar threads have been merged here.
Note de la modération : Plusieurs discussions sur le même thème ont été fusionnées pour créer cette discussion
-----------

what does the word choupinou mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Fred-erique

French living in Spain
    C'est un terme affectueux pour dire "mon petit chou", on dit aussi parfois "mon lapinou" (mon petit lapin). Mais ce n'est pas encore admis par les dictionnaires.....

Maine Frenchie

English-American
    I cannot find a translation for this word. I realize it must be slang but still can't find it. It was used to describe a child "Quel choupinou!"
    I can guess it might mean what a darling but it's a guess and I can't figure out its origins. Does it come from the affectionate term "mon petit chou"? Anyone have a clue? Merci bien

Zoulllien

Français - Belgique
    A familiar word for "very cute". I don't know the etimology, from "chou" maybe ("c'est chou" = "it's cute". The suffix -inou convey the idea of smallness.

franc 91

English - GB
    how sweet she/he is, but we also say it about objects (I imagine that you would say cute) I don't know that it has anything to do with choux, it just sounds nice. The feminine is choupinette

Maine Frenchie

English-American
    Thank you. That was very helpful. How would you use it to describe an object? In what context? For example, I could see where you might say a toy was "cute". Is that what you mean? Or could it be used for objects in another context?

TeaForTwo

French
    I haver never personally heard this word used for an object.

Cute would be the idea, but I'm not sure it is a proper translation. I am not able to provide a good one but it should be something that gives the idea of sort of a made up word that would mean "mon-petit-mignon-à-croquer".

As said by Zoullien, "choupinou" gives the idea of "mon petit chou".

franc 91

English - GB
    Je viens d'y penser - on dit choupinet aussi (il y a peut-être une influence linguistique auvergnate ou occitane avec tous ces petits mots qui se terminent en ou) ma femme appelle un de nos fils Simonou

Last edited:

catay

Canada anglais
    Possible equivalents:
    "What a little sweetie/cutie" and if you really want to gush;):
    "What a little cutie/sweetie pie"

AmaryllisBunny

Je sais ce que ça veut dire, mais je ne trouve pas forcément d'équivalent en anglais.

Contexte:

Mon ami de Strasbourg me dit « coucou mon choupinou » puis il me fait un câlin.
    Il y avait aussi « lapinou »...

Ma tentative: « my little cupcake ».

AmaryllisBunny

[...]

the suggestions seemed like dated terms. I have never heard a young'un say "sweetie" or even "cutie." I've seen "cutie," but never spoken.

Moderator note: Threads merged--please see message in your WR inbox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Language Hound

American English
    the suggestions seemed like dated terms. I have never heard a young'un say "sweetie" or even "cutie."
    With few exceptions, French and American terms of endearment do not translate.
    Americans do not lovingly address their beloved as "my flea" or "my little doe," any more than the French refer to the object of their affection as "miel."
    I don't know what the age range is for your "young'uns," but I would suggest picking a term of endearment that they do use and go with that.

< Previous | Next >