Christmas holiday/celebration/festival

Discussion in 'English Only' started by atakeris, Dec 26, 2016.

1. atakeris Senior Member

Latvian
    Hello,

Whic noun works best in these cases?

-How was your Christmas holiday/celebration/festival? Context: how did you spend the time with your family celebrating Christmas. Asking the day after Christmas.

In my native language, we referr to all family gatherings for Christmas, birthday etc. with one generic noun. I'm wondering which noun i used in English for this meaning: celebration, holiday, festival, something else?

Happy holidays!

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I would say "How was your Christmas?"
    In English, we don't.

3. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I agree with Paul. But the others also have their uses:
    • Holiday if you're referring to the period of time spent off work.
    • Celebrations if you're talking about parties, dinners, etc.
    • Festival if you know that the person has organised a concert, play, fair or other large-scale entertainment.

4. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I (AE) would ask "How was your Christmas?" Adding "holiday," though, would not be wrong.

5. atakeris Senior Member

Latvian
    So to refer to a Christmas dinner, for example, I'd have to say "Christmas celebration"?

6. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    No. if you just want to ask about a dinner, you use the word "dinner", not "celebration".

On 26 December, I (BE) would probably not refer explicitly to 25 December; I would probably say "Have you had a good Christmas?", which implies "up to now". If I wanted to ask about 25 December only (which I would probably not want to do, as I say), I might ask "Did you have a good Christmas Day?"

7. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I might ask "How were your Christmas celebrations?.../ How did your Christmas celebrations go?" if I knew that my friend had invited a dozen people for the weekend, or organised a party for all the children in the street.