Chronically Accessible

< Previous | Next >
  • Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    "accessible" means available, easy to access. "chronically" means constantly/at all times. Something which is chronically accessible is something which is always available.

Biffo

English - England
    It is strange to talk of issues being accessible. :confused:

Please can you give us the complete sentence and say where you read it?

Thank you.

Biffo

English - England
    ..."chronically" means constantly/at all times. Something which is chronically accessible is something which is always available.
    I don't agree. "Chronically" means "over time". For example someone might have chronic pain but not experience it every moment of every day.

e2efour

UK English
    An issue that becomes chronically accessible is one that resides in long-term memory, i.e. it can easily be accessed (recalled) by the individual.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You should include a complete sentence with every question, nazishahbazi.
    Do you have one?

I think we have gone as far as we can with what you have given us.
    We should wait for more context before going further.

nazishahbazi

Persian
    Thanks everyone.
    the full sentence is below:
    "Hence, groups differ in the issues they make salient, issues that become "chronically accessible", and ones that likely impact on the way individuals appraise events."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thank you for the sentence nazishahbazi, but it's still a little er ... opaque.

Where did you find the sentence, and what were the issues being discussed? We need the context of your sentence; if you can't explain it in your own words, the two preceding sentences would probably help us.

nazishahbazi

Persian
    it's actually from an article on Psychomusicology. the main subject of the article is about Music Performance Anxiety and if it's developed by cultural groups to which a performer belongs. In the paragraph it talks about how groups are different from each other in terms of goals, values and concerns they promote and to what extent such differences lead members towards having common values, attitudes and etc. and right after this sentence: "For example, some cultures particularly encourage individualism, self-enhancement, or autonomy, whereas others rather praise collectivism, self-transcendence, or embeddedness" comes the one that I gave you.
    By the way is it okay to ask the accurate meaning of embeddedness here as well without posting another thread?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thanks for the excellent context. :) A new question requires a new thread.

So your passage goes like this:

"For example, some cultures particularly encourage individualism, self-enhancement, or autonomy, whereas others rather praise collectivism, self-transcendence, or embeddedness.
    Hence, groups differ in the issues they make salient, issues that become "chronically accessible", and ones that likely impact on the way individuals appraise events."

I'm afraid I still don't understand that, but maybe somebody else can help you. Can you give us the source? I'd be interested to learn whether this was written by a native speaker of English.

nazishahbazi

Persian
    Yes Velisarius. :tick::)
    "Is Music Performance Anxiety just an individual problem? Exploring the impact of musical environments on performers' approaches to performance and emotions" By Elsa Perdomo-Guevara, University of Sheffield
    I purchased it from APA website in the Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, and Brain journal.

Biffo

English - England
    A Google search quickly reveals that "chronically accessible" is a technical term (or psychobabble if you prefer). It relates to certain theories about how different people react differently to the same stimulus due to 'priming'.

Example (made up by me)

Someone who had a family dog in childhood might react to seeing a new dog in the street with delight and a desire to interact with it. However someone who was bitten by a dog in childhood might react to seeing a new dog in the street with fear and a desire to run away. It is the same dog in both cases. The stimulus is the same but the reaction is different.

Now we come to the cultural effect. A third person might have had no close interaction with dogs at all in childhood. However for cultural reasons (perhaps religious perhaps familial) the parents may have always reacted unfavourably to dogs. This person is now predisposed to avoid contact with dogs because the issue is chronically accessible both internally and, if they still live in the culture they were brought up with, externally.

A fourth person might have no internal predispostion for fear of dogs but by entering a group who were, they could constantly (chronically) be surrounded by people who did. This constant reminder could rub off and make them fearful as well.

I suspect that the notion of continuing cultural rather than previously internalised accessibilty explains why the term was placed in double quotes.

Basically I believe it is saying that if you are part of a group where the other group members treat some phenomenon as scary, you will be predisposed to behave as though it is scary yourself.

Summary in context

If you are a confident performer who joins an orchestra that has a culture of performance anxiety you'll probably pick it up.

(Why they can't just say that I have no idea. Maybe they are just envious of mathematicians and physicists who really do have something complicated to say.)

---------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTE
    As the above ideas were gained from briefly reading about the subject online, I am prepared for someone who is expert in the field to tell me I'm wrong.:)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >