Chubby-cheeked

schweet

UK, England
Hello

Can anyone think of a more polite-sounding way (ideally an adjective) to say 'chubby-cheeked'?

Thanks for your help.

Lucy

• Packard

USA, English
    Context?

Are you talking about a baby or an adult?

It's a bid difference in usage.

schweet

UK, England
    It's in relation to an adult.

It's in a translation from Russian to English and is an adjective that describes a person specifically having fat cheeks, but it doesn't have an informal tone in the original.

Packard

USA, English
    For infants "chubby cheeked" is a compliment; for adults, not so.

"Round-faced" or "oval shaped face" would do for an adult.

Or go with the negative: He lacked Casius' lean and hungry look.

JamesM

For infants "chubby cheeked" is a compliment; for adults, not so.

"Round-faced" or "oval shaped face" would do for an adult.

Or go with the negative: He lacked Casius' lean and hungry look.
    The trick with "round-faced" or "oval-shaped face" is that there are people who are fairly thin yet have a round or oval-shaped face. It doesn't necessarily imply that their cheeks are chubby, in my opinion.

Packard

USA, English
    The trick with "round-faced" or "oval-shaped face" is that there are people who are fairly thin yet have a round or oval-shaped face. It doesn't necessarily imply that their cheeks are chubby, in my opinion.
    OK. I agree.

What about, "He had a face shape that was likened to Winston Churchill's--but minus the cigar."?

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Given the parsimonious dispensation of context, one might understand the term
    as having a well-endowed posterior. Precisely which set of chubby cheeks are you asking about?

schweet

UK, England
    Yes, of course I mean the face cheeks!

I'm sure there must be something - it's swimming around somewhere in the ether...

...maybe using the word 'jowl' or '-jowled'?

Packard

USA, English
    I'm leaning towards "moon faced" (but the Churchill reference has a nice visual appeal for me).

Loob

English UK
    Given the parsimonious dispensation of context, one might understand the term
    as having a well-endowed posterior. Precisely which set of chubby cheeks are you asking about?
    Cheeky! But an important point...

Schweet, can you give us the sentence in which this expression is to be used? And maybe the sentence (or two) before and the sentence (or two) after, up to a maximum of four sentences in total?

< Previous | Next >