Chubby

Rigardo Lee

Hello, guys. It's Ric again. Hope you are all having a wonderful day.

Thoughts and Context :

I'm working for a health clinic, where I do all the analysis of health issues in general.

My job is to manage body composition of clients whose body shape is somewhere between chubby and fat.

But, I'm not actually sure about the way 'chubby' describes itself, as I think 'chubby' is a bit slangy, too derogatory term for expressing someone being slightly out of shape.

I do hear 'chubby' in the language of people I usually listen to in daily conversation, yet I may not expect it to be heard in professional clinical context. You know, results sheet should sound professional, with no baby terms, no swear words in it.

What do you suppose could take the place of 'chubby', in terms of being between standard and fat?

I'm intending it to mean something not physically offensive, with an added layer of clinical repsect in it.

Kindest regards,

Ric

Last edited:
  • Root of All Things

English - American
    The professional term is probably "(slightly) overweight." This is how the Center for Disease Control and Prevention classifies adult weight: underweight / healthy weight / overweight / obese, with obese having further Class I, Class II, and Class III subcategories.

EDIT: normal -> healthy. Mis-copied from their website.

Rigardo Lee

< Added to previous thread on the same question. Cagey, moderator >

Hello.

I think I'm so at a loss as to what adjective might take the place of 'chubby'.

I mean: is there any alternative to using 'chubby' in clinical context?

I've heard it recommended that 'overweight' could take the place of chubby.

But, I want something to define body shape, not a generic term for body weight (Overweight sounds as if it describes one's current body status, not 'body shape'.)

What could substitute 'chubby' to be used in clinical context?

'Chubby' sounds a bit non-professional to my non-native ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rigardo Lee

What does "chubby" mean to you? What are you trying to say, using clinical words? Is "fat" okay?
    I took it to mean somewhere between standard and fat, yet without having to use 'chubby'.

Is there any word that conveys the same meaning as 'chubby', yet still sounding more clinical?

I think 'chubby' isn't decent enough to be used for clinical report.

The meaning should be 'chubby', I mean... clinical 'chubby'.

S1m0n

English
    All words for excess weight are rude, except for the most clinical. Some are ruder than others, but there is no polite, colloquial term like you're looking for. I'd use slightly overweight > somewhat overweight > overweight > significantly overweight > very overweight to cover a progression of increasing obesity.

ewie

English English
    All words for excess weight are rude, except for the most clinical. Some are ruder than others, but there is no polite, colloquial term like you're looking for. I'd use slightly overweight > somewhat overweight > overweight > significantly overweight > very overweight to cover a progression of increasing obesity.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I want something to define body shape, not a generic term for body weight
    I don't really see why you insist on this point:). If it's a health issue, excess weight is the problem.

If the client is interested exclusively in the aesthetic aspect, in conversation with them you might humour them and talk about a lady having a "full figure", or a man being "chunky".

< Previous | Next >