1. Mateland Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    I encountered this today in conversation. What are some possible meanings? It was used as an adjective when a friend was talking to me.

Could it mean false or bogus?

2. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

It's kind of like "bent" or "lopsided." Or even bow-legged.

chueco, ca.(De chueca).1. adj. Am. estevado.2. adj. Cuba y Méx. torcido (ǁ que no es recto).3. adj. El Salv. y Hond. Dicho de una cosa: Mal hecha, defectuosa, inútil.4. adj. Méx. torcido (ǁ que no obra con rectitud). U. t. c. s.

3. Mateland Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    Cause I responded by asking her if it meant false... and she seemed to tacitly agree. The thing didnt appear to be physically bent. She was talking about her drivers license.

4. Maverick Member

USA
    Spanish, English USA
    sometimes people use it to say something is wrong. Maybe that's what she meant.

5. Mateland Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    Thanks Mav.

6. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    Literally, it means bent, twisted or crooked. Figuratively, it means bent, twisted or crooked. In the context of police officers, it would be the same as "a crooked cop."

In the context of driver licenses, it would mean that it is a fake ID, or was obtained by illegal means.

Saludos.

7. Mateland Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    Great ... that is what I thought

8. Mateland Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    When I was in Spain it was the gay part of Madrid and was used to mean that.

9. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    You mean in the same way that the British use "bent" to mean "homosexual"? Very interesting cultural similarity. :)

10. Mateland Senior Member

USA
    English USA
    MMMMM..... Well I think that the part of Madrid was ther first and it probably morphed to become the following. The word must be relatively new.

11. Maverick Member

USA
    Spanish, English USA
    heh. that's interesting. oh, and fenixpollo's response was more precise.

12. loquetienes New Member

english - U.S.
    I had a client coming in today. She said "identification chueca" and ment that someone was using an i.d. under a differtent name. I guess it does follow the "false" statement.