ci fa ricadere sul posto

< Previous | Next >

Lazzini

Evening all,

The following is a slogan (not a very snappy one in my opinion) to sum up a photography exhibition:

“Un salto indietro di quarant’anni che, allo stesso tempo, ci fa ricadere sul posto, nel nostro presente”

I can't work out the phrase given in the title. Is it saying something like "...which, at the same time, gives us a sense of our place in the present"?

• MStraf

Interesting sentence...
    My guess is "a jump in the past that at the same time takes us to this same place, the present"

I guess the allegory is using the verb "to jump" as a "space" travel ("ricadere sul posto", to fall back in a place) instead of a "time" travel (jump in the past) like it is used at the beginning of the sentence

I don't know if I made myself clear, sorry!

beccamutt

English - US
    Un salto indietro di quarant’anni che, allo stesso tempo, ci fa ricadere sul posto, nel nostro presente
    A jump 40 years into the past, that at the same time, makes us land in the same place in our present.

Seems kind of clumsy to me, both in Italian and English.

miri

Italy/Italian
    I think it means that the similarities between past and present the exhibition highlights are so striking that, even if the pictures were taken 40 years ago, they perfectly suit the present situation as well. That is to say, after a jump you land somewhere, in this case you land both in the past and in the present.
    Using Becca’s suggestions:), I’d say:
    "A jump 40 years into the past, that at the same time, makes us land exactly where we are at present."

Lazzini

Many thanks for all the above contributions, which all seem to point in more or less the same direction.

It seems odd to me that pictures of a rural community taken 40 years ago should remind us of the present to any great extent. Just to avoid misunderstanding, that's a comment on the slogan itself, and not on your translations, and, of course... I haven't seen the exhibition, and so don't know which aspects of rural life it portrays.

miri

Italy/Italian
    Hi, Lazzini:)
    I've just found this comment about the exhibition which may shed some light on the meaning of the slogan and confirm our hypothesis:
    "...le immagini di Toffoletti pur testimoniando una situazione di miseria materiale oggi per certi versi superata, al contempo offrono l’occasione per una serie di considerazioni di bruciante attualità. La mancanza di possibilità concrete di lavoro, l’abbandono del territorio, il collasso demografico, le emergenze ambientali, questioni aperte che da quattro decenni sono state affrontate in modo inefficace..."

Lazzini

It absolutely does confirm your hypothesis (i.e. of all three of you). In fact, I had just discovered the same bit of text myself, and was about to add an edit to my previous post.

Thanks to all once again.

< Previous | Next >