Ci prova con tutte

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Gutterflower, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Gutterflower Member

milan
    Italy italian
    Hi all!
    How would you translate this sentence "Non ne ho la minima idea, ma quel tizio ci prova con tutte", maintaining the colloquial form of "ci prova con tutte".
    Thanks

2. confusion

confusion Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I would use "hit on somebody", so "I don't have a clue, but that guy hits on any girl!"

Vediamo cosa dicono i nativi. :)

3. Emma Neve

Emma Neve Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Mi viene in mente una parola che, non so bene il motivo, mi garba parecchio!
    Forse perché la usa Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman...
    "He's a womanizer".
    Defintion: a man who likes many women and has short sexual relationships with them.
    In una parola, riassume uno che ci prova con tutte. Ma forse non è quello che cercavi.

Emma

4. neuromatico

neuromatico Senior Member

Toronto
    English (Canadian)
    I don't know anything about it, but that guy hits on all the girls.
    I don't have the slightest idea about it, but that guy hits on all the girls.
    I don't have a clue about it, but that guy hits on all the girls.

Edit.
    You could also call him a "womanizer" (sciupafemmine), as Emma suggests, but this usually refers to a mature man, not a tizio, if I understand the tone of the sentence correctly.

5. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    "that guy hits on any girl!" sounds fine to me, and "tries it on with anyone/anybody/any girl

(said very much "tongue in cheek" "If he tries it on with me he'll get a smack in the mouth! - not literally of course!)

"he's very much a womaniser" va ben anche, but it feels slightly "milder" than "tries it on" somehow.

Ciao
    Leo:)

p.s. Aah! Thankyou Neuromatico, perhaps it's like saying:
    Not that I know anything about it, but that ...... OR
    Not that it's anything to do with me, but that man......

6. Emma Neve

Emma Neve Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Being milder, would you also suggest that to call a man "womanizer" could be even flattering (for him) somehow? What I mean is, this is not necessarily a derogative term, is it?

Emma

7. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Saying that a guy "hits on all the girls" can be a very playful way of describing a pretty innocent, laughable guy. It could also describe someone a little more seriously as a person who pitiably or laughably or even offensively tries to get girls, with or without success. In the end, it's generally pretty tame.

A "womanizer," on the other hand, least to me, is a more serious description of someone who simply has casual sex with many various women. It's not very tongue-in-cheek or playful. It either states a fact or may even convey a tone of offensiveness.

More specifically, a guy who "hits on girls" does not necessarily do it simply for sex. Maybe he just likes the game of trying to get women to notice/like him or give him a phone number! A womanizer seeks sex and only sex.

Edit: Emma, I see it as pretty derogatory. But I've already been corrected once today on my English! :D

8. neuromatico

Toronto
    English (Canadian)
    No argument from me!

It depends completely on context.
    "Womanizer" is a term used predominately by women, either admiringly or derisively, to describe a man who has success with women, many women.

9. Emma Neve

Emma Neve Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Ok Brian... I'll remember that and will never say to a guy he's a womanizer, unless he deserves it!
    Neuromatico you're saying that context plays an important role. I can see the point and I guess it's the same for the Italian term "donnaiolo".

Emma ;)

10. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    Hi there Brian
    This is very interesting as I thought there would be different degrees of "womanising". (What do I know!) e.g. "He's a bit of a womaniser, that one, be careful" and He's an out and out womaniser, I'd stay well clear of him. (I must have had a very sheltered life!) So Emma, womaniser isn't necessarily "milder".

Ciao

11. prinkle Senior Member

italy
    Italy native languages English and Italian (dual national)
    Questa frase é la più comune in gergo "that bloke gets fresh with all of them".
    I have'nt the faintest idea but that bloke gets fresh with all of them".

12. underhouse Senior Member

Around Europe
    Italian
    "To pull" è diverso, vero?
    Dovrebbe voler dire "andare a conoscere", "fare conoscenza", dovrebbe essere meno forte di "provarci".

13. prinkle Senior Member

italy
    Italy native languages English and Italian (dual national)
    Questa non la conosco.

14. neuromatico

Toronto
    English (Canadian)
    Not in AE.

In fact, I've never heard of "to pull ...", except for the very vulgar "to pull the train", which I will not translate.

Is it a BE expression?

"Andare a conoscere" and "fare conoscenza" suggest that "he likes to meet all the girls" or that "he enjoys female company", unless you meant "conoscenza carnale", which would take us back to "hitting on all the girls".

15. underhouse Senior Member

Around Europe
    Italian
    Allora forse è solo BE! In effetti l'ho sentita a Londra...

16. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    Going out "on the pull" (in my opinion anyway) is quite harmless, speaking from a female perspective, it means being footloose and fancy free and going on a night out somewhere (e.g. local night club/discoteque) where there are lots of people in the hope that you will meet someone. However, it is very colloquial. (It's not like you would say to your mother, I'm off out on the pull now.;))

Ciao