Cigarette bog [box]

shaymaa Elreedy

Arabic
Hi everybody,
I'd like to know the meaning of «cigarette bog» in the following:

“Of course,” Furley observed, “ciphers can lead you--”

He stopped short. Julian, who had been leaning over towards the cigarette bog, glanced around at his friend.

It's from «The Devil's Paw» by Oppenheim. The context is a dialogue between two friends.

Thanks in advance.

• dojibear

US English
    Since this book was written in 1920, "cigarette bog" might have been common slang in 1920. Slang phrases usually don't last 100 years, even if "everybody knows what they mean" at that time.

Or it could be a printing mistake, like post 2 suggests. According to this Ngram, "cigarette box" and "box of cigarettes" were common terms in the UK back in 1920, while "cigaratte pack" and "pack of cigarettes" were not.

Google Books Ngram Viewer

shaymaa Elreedy

Arabic
    In fact, I didn't find any meaning for the word bog that has something to do with cigarettes, so I think it's a mistake as you said. Thanks so much for help.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    A cigarette box (if that's what it means) is something much more substantial than a cigarette pack/packet. A box is made of wood or metal (like the silver one below); a packet is made of card or paper.

1629496956897.png

lingobingo

English - England
    A cigarette case was something you kept about your person, like a wallet. A cigarette box was something you kept on a table or mantelpiece at home. (I think.)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Most people have agreed that it should be 'cigarette box.'
    They are correct. Google books gives us access to the 1921 edition which has this:

Julian, who had been leaning over towards the cigarette box, glanced around at his friend.​
    The Devil's Paw: A Novel - Page 10 - Google Books Result​
    (Unfortunately, access to Google Books may be blocked in some countries.)​
    Sometimes the scanners used to copy texts from older books misread letters. This is what happened in the Project Gutenberg text that may be the source of the topic sentence ---> The Devil's Paw, by E. Phillips Oppenheim - Project Gutenberg

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I'd call that a cigarette case, Keith :)
    Look again.

I've just spent fifteen minutes trying and failing to get my cigarette box (like the illustration) into my jacket pocket. Perhaps I should have measured it first - it's 5 x 8.5 x 10 cm - easily enough for seven layers of 7mm thick cigarettes. A cigarette case is only deep enough for one layer in the base and perhaps one in the lid and will therefore be less than 2 cm thick. That's the thing you put in your pocket.

ewie

English English
    Think again.

I have a cigarette case that looks very much like that one: it's 9 x 7.5 x 1.5 cm and can hold at least 20 (roll-up) ciggies. It fits into any of my pockets I choose to put it in.

< Off topic comment removed. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator: