cinematografia/cinematografie nazionali

maria vecchi

Italian
Hallo, here I am again asking for help!
I am really wondering how to best translate two terms that are very common in Italian film studies:
- cinematografia (il concetto di cinema nel senso più ampio possibile)
- cinematografia nazionale (cioè la produzione cinematografica di un paese, spesso usato al plurale)
One example I am struggling with right now is: " Che sia dunque il documentario il marchio d'eccellenza di una cinematografia che ha alcune difficoltà etc.?"
Of course "film", "cinema", "the cinema" are usually good options, but not in this case...
Thank you.

• GavinW

British English
    - cinematografia (il concetto di cinema nel senso più ampio possibile) cinema
    - cinematografia nazionale (cioè la produzione cinematografica di un paese, spesso usato al plurale) national film industry (or movie industry, you decide!)
    One example I am struggling with right now is: " Che sia dunque il documentario il marchio d'eccellenza di una cinematografia che ha alcune difficoltà etc.?" ...film industry....
    Of course "film", "cinema", "the cinema" are usually good options, but not in this case... Are you sure...? ;-)
    Thank you.

HTH

maria vecchi

Italian
    it's true! How could I not think of it myself??

I totally agree with your suggestion. I don't actually get the meaning of your wink regarding the usual translating options...

GavinW

British English
    I don't actually get the meaning of your wink regarding the usual translating options...

I only meant that you had excluded a few terms, including "cinema", but that's a suggestion which I made. So I was asking you to reconsider "cinema" as an effective translation. (Plus, I often like using the "wink" somewhere in my posts to reassure people that I'm a human being, not an automaton or something!)
    ;-)

maria vecchi

Italian
    :)

so you would actually say " Can thus the documentary be considered an excellence trademark in a cinema that is struggling etc...?"
    I'd rather stick to film industry, even though the artistic and cultural connotations are somewhat missing...