cinematography of the silver screen and the projection

< Previous | Next >

translation lover

Arabic
Hi, I am working on a file for Roberto Cavalli. Can someone please explain what they exactly mean by the part in bold?

The S/S 2014 Roberto Cavalli collection is greatly inspired by the cinematography of the silver screen and the projection of femininity in which the Roberto Cavalli woman is the Goddess of a sensual revolution..

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    If the collection is inspired by the "cinematography of the silver screen", the people who designed that collection were inspired by the camera techniques that filmmakers used for the great movies of the black-and-white era. If the collection is inspired by "the projection of femininity" during the silver-screen era, then the collection is inspired by the characters of women who were played by great actresses during that era of film.

As usual, translation lover, this marketing language uses strange phrases with loose meanings. The exact nature of the inspiration mentioned in that passage is anyone's guess.

EStjarn

Spanish
    I think some digging is due here.

This is from iwantigot.geekigirl.com, from a blog post by Anita Clarke (Jan 6, 2014), what appears to be the words of Roberto Cavalli:
    The S/S 2014 Roberto Cavalli collection is inspired by the cinematography of the silver screen, in a projection of femininity. Unique, romantic and exuberant, the Roberto Cavalli woman is the Goddess of a sensual revolution where images shine in the gowns just like in dreams. The desire to enhance reality through the filter of an extraordinary cinematographic light which becomes real in the seductive silhouettes and sinuous outlines of the clothes.
    And here's from robertocavalliblog.com (the ellipses are not mine):
    Spring/Summer 2014… A Dream Collection…

I want you to dream… I want you to live a dream that becomes your reality… I want you to be in the spotlight… one you can enjoy… more sensual than ever…

When I designed the new Roberto Cavalli Spring Summer 2014 Collection I wanted to create dresses that make those occasions even more special… a collection that enhances your natural sensuality… for sophisticated women to dream on…!
    I believe the meaning of the topic sentence must be inferred from context. Making use of the above quotations, I'd say the phrase the cinematography of the silver screen alludes to the ability of cinematographers to make the appearance of something more appealing by their lighting techniques, and that the projection of femininity indicates what that something relates to.

(Note that a projector is a machine for projecting an image onto a screen. What a projector projects is thus a projection.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >